Dr Pingali Venugopal
Qualification : Postgraduate & Fellow (IIMA)
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Functional Area : Marketing
Total Experience (in months)
400 (as on 23-APR-16)
XLRI, Jamshedpur -
Dean May 2004 to May 2010
Marketing Faculty since May 1994
Nagarjuna Fertilisers and Chemicals Limited, Hyderabad - December 1988 to June 1990.
Position Held: Development Manager
Coromandel Fertilisers Limited, Secunderabad - April 1980 to November 1988.
Sales Promotion Officer April 1980 to January 1982
Advertising Officer February 82 to September 85
Regional Marketing Officer October 1985 to November 88
Dr Pingali Venugopal
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
Best Citizen of Indiaaward 2009 by International Publishing House, New Delhi
1. Dean at XLRI, Jamshedpur from 2004 to 2010.
2. Coordinator, Center for Global Management and Responsible Leadership (XLRI) from 2010. (This center was run in collaboration with School of Business Management, Loyola University Chicago for 3 years.)
3. Chairperson, Management Development Programmes (XLRI), 2011-14
4. Chairperson, Fellow Programme (Doctoral Programme at XLRI), 1998-2000.
5. Chairperson, Placement (XLRI), 1996-1998
6. Member of the XLRI Faculty Review Committee (2004 till date)
7. Trustee of the XLRI, Provident Fund, 2004 till date
1. Preparation of A 5 Year Developmental Plan for two blocks in Madhya Pradesh. Project submitted to Madhya Pradesh Government Panchayat Department.
2. Social Assessment Study for Bihar Education Project, Government of Bihar
3. Development of participatory strategies for forest based villages in Madhya Pradesh. Project done for Madhya Pradesh Government.
4. Impact Assessment Study for Kerala Horticulture Development Programme.
5. Bihar Image study for Bihar Government.
6. Status Paper on Agricultural Input Management. Done as a part of the Millennium study on the State of the Indian Farmer for Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India.
7. Jharkhand Development Report. Steering committee member for the report prepared for the Planning Commission, Government of India.
Sales and Distribution Management
- IIM, Ahmedabad
- IIM, Lucknow
- IIM, Kashipur
- XLRI, Jamshedpur
- XIM, Bhubaneswar
- IIM, Ahmedabad
- IIM, Kolkata
- XLRI, Jamshedpur
- XIM, Bhubaneswar
Principles of Marketing
- IIM, Lucknow
- IIM, Ranchi
- XLRI, Jamshedpur
- XIM, Bhubaneswar
- American University, Armenia
Agri input Marketing
- National Institute of Agricultural marketing, Jaipur
- National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management, Hyderabad
On Channel Management, Professional Sales Management, Research methodology, Agri Input Marketing for the following companies:
2. AGI Glass Industries
4. Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited
5. Eastern Coalfields Ltd.
7. Essar Industries
8. Hughes Escorts.
9. Hulas Steel.
10. Indian Petrochemicals Ltd.
11. Kriloskar Oils and Engines Ltd.
13. Primax, Ghana
14. State Bank of India
15. Tata Steel
16. Tata Motors
17. Tata Telcon
19. Towell Industries, Dubai
20. United Phosphorus Limited
- AGI Glass Industries
- Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited
- Eastern Coalfields Ltd.
- Essar Industries
- Hughes Escorts.
- Hulas Steel.
- Indian Petrochemicals Ltd.
- Kriloskar Oils and Engines Ltd.
- Primax, Ghana
- State Bank of India
- Tata Steel
- Tata Motors
- Tata Telcon
- Towell Industries, Dubai
- United Phosphorus Limited
- Zuari Industries
- Consideration set: Agri-business buyer behavior in India. Journal of International Food and Agribusiness Marketing. Volume 8, issue. 3, 1997, p. 69-79 (joint first author. 3 authors)
- Analysis of growth stages in small firms: A case study of Auto Ancillaries in India. Journal of Small Business Management. Volume 37 issue 3 July 1999, p. 62-76 (joint second author. 2 authors)
- Consumer Aspirations in Marginalized Communities: A case study of Indian Villages. Journal on Consumption, Markets and Culture. Volume 4, issue 2, 2000, p.125-142 (joint second author. 2 authors)
- Context-General and Context-Specific Determinants of Online Satisfaction and Loyalty for Commerce and Content Sites, Journal of Interactive Marketing Volume 24, Issue 3, 2010, p. 222-238 (joint third author. 3 authors)
- GM crops Controversy: Stakeholder analysis of the case of Bt Brinjal (eggplant) in India, Journalism and Mass Communication, Volume 2, Number 8, 2012, p. 852-863 (single author)
- Urban Orientation of rural consumers: Implication for Consumer goods Distribution, International Journal of Rural Management. Volume 8, issue 1&2, , 2012, p. 105117 (single author)
- A Study on Consumer Adoption of Technology Facilitated Services, Journal of Services Marketing, volume 28, issue 7, 2014, p.471 483 (joint third author. Four authors)
- The impact of salesperson customer orientation on sales performance via mediating mechanism: Insights from India, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing. Volume 30, issue 5, 2015, in print (joint second author. 2 authors)
- Work Life Balance: Working Women in the IT sector in India, The International Journal of Organizational Diversity, volume 14, issue 2, p. 19, 2015 (joint second author. Two authors)
- Responsible Leadership: Learning from Indian Case studies. Asian Journal of Business Ethics, special issue on Inclusive Development and Responsible Business in India, 2016 (online copy published January 30, 2016) (single author)
- The determinants for sustainability in a low technology SME textile cluster in an emerging economy`, Vol 15, no. 3, 2018. International Journal of Business Innovation and Research
- Rural immersion program in India: integrating management education with community. Development and Learning in Organizations: An International Journal, Feb 2020
- Integrating Sustainability in the realm of Marketing: A Theoretical Framework, Academy of Marketing Studies Journal (AMSJ) Volume 24 & Issue 3
- Framework For Responsible (Sustainable) Marketing, Corporate Governance and Sustainability Review Volume 4, Issue 2, Aug 2020
- Integrating the circular economy into engineering programs in India: A study of students’ familiarity with the concept. Industry and Higher Education, Online first Oct 2020
- Framework for Inferring Buying Behaviour. Management and Labour Studies. Vol. 21, issue 1, 1996, p. 42- 50 (single author)
- Consumer perceptions of Door-to-door selling: An exploratory study, Management and Labour Studies, volume 31, issue 1,2006, p 49-54 (single author)
- Management Education: A Framework for Grading, Management and Labour Studies. Vol. 27, issue 3, 2002
- How Social Media Word of Mouth Influences Consumer Decision Making: A Conceptual Framework Based on Literature Review, Management and Labour Studies, volume 39, issue 3, 2015, p.1-16 (in print) (joint third author. Three authors)
- Concern for Global Warming Amongst Professionals in Urban India, Management and Labour Studies, volume 40, issue 3, 2016, (in print) (joint first author. Three authors)??
- Place utility: I essential to make the product available in the rural markets? Logistix, vol. 1, no. 3, September 2000 (ingle author)
- Mindset of Indian Consumers: Implications for Car manufacturers. Prabandhan, vol. 1, no.1, April 2001 (single author).
- Is Demand estimation always essential for Supply Chain Management? Logistix, vol. 3, no. 4, December 2001 (single author).
- Formal and Informal Sector. Strategies for Economic Empowerment of Tribal Women National Commission for Women, New Delhi (single author).
- Green Printing: Formulating a Marketing Program, Auroras Journal of Management, July Sept 2012 (single author)
General Interest Articles:
- Marketing strategy in the emerging Pesticide scenario. Silver jubilee souvenir of Pesticide Formulators Association of India, Bombay, 1994 (joint first author. Two authors).
- Consumers are changing fast. Jamshedpur Telegraph, June 30, 2000 (single author).
- Rural Market: Segments. http://www.indiainfoline.com/bisc/xlfa2.html. August 2000 (single autor).
Published Research Monographs
1. Marketing Channel Management: A Customer Centric Approach. (Sage, New Delhi) 2001 (single author)
2. State of Indian Farmer- A Millennium study. Input Management. Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India (Academic Foundation- New Delhi) 2004 (single author)
3. Managing the sales force: A motivational approach (Sage, New Delhi), 2006 (single author)
4. Sales and Distribution Management: An Indian Perspective, (Sage, New Delhi), 2008 (single author)
5. Marketing Management: A Decision Making Approach, (Sage, New Delhi), 2010 (single author)
6. Marketing Research: A users perspective. (McGraw Hill, Mumbai), 2014 (single author)
7. Agri-input Marketing in India, (Sage, New Delhi), 2014 (joint first author. Two authors)
Chapters in Scholarly books
- Renewing the face of the earth, in eds. Ananda Das Gupta, Ethics in Business, Sage, New Delhi, 2010 (single author)
- A Relook at the Triguna Theory and its Implications in the Organizational Context, Indian Academy of Management, December 2009, Jamshedpur India (joint third author. Three authors)
- Information search: A Study of Buyers in Rural India Marketing Communications and Consumer Behaviour, June, 1999, La Londe (France) (single author)
- Consideration Set Composition: An Empirical study in Rural India. The Association of Consumer Research Bi-annual Asia Pacific Conference March 2000, Gold Coast, Australia. (single author)
- Compulsive behavior: A Framework for Identifying Children at Risk. The Association of Consumer Research Bi-annual Asia Pacific Conference March 2002, Beijing. (single author)
- Pioneer Brand and Information search: A study in Rural India. The Association of Consumer Research Bi-annual Asia Pacific Conference March 2002, Beijing. (single author)
1. Distribution Planning for Fertilizers by studying the Retailer Purchase Behaviour: An Application of AHM Dynamic Inventory Model. International Conference on Operations Research for Development, Ahmedabad, December, 1992 (single author)
2. Purchase Decisions in Developing Countries: A Case of Pesticide Buying in India. International Conference on Marketing and Development July 1997, Romania (single author)
3. Changing levels of Market Dependence: A study of Indian Villages. International Conference on Marketing and Development July 1997, Romania. (joint second author. Two authors)
4. Marketing Orientation in Small firms in Developing Countries: An Empirical Study in India. Academy of Marketing Sciences Conference May, 1999, Florida ??(joint second author. Two authors)
5. Store decisions: A study of Rural buyers in India. National Business and Economics Society conference February/ March 2001, Puerto Rico. (single author)
6. Channel Commitment Strategies for Indian Market. American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences, February 2001, Las Vegas, USA. (single author)
7. Factors influencing Retailer Purchases: An empirical study in India. Marketing Management Association conference March 2001, Chicago. (single author)
8. Management Education: A Framework For Grading. 7th South Asian Management Forum, April 2002, Maldives. (joint first author. Two authors)
9. The Marketing Contribution Barometer. International Conference on Marketing and Development January 2003, Bangkok (joint second author. Two authors)
10. Brand Decisions: A Study of Rural Buyers in India. European Applied Business Research Conference June 2003, Venice, Italy. (single author)
11. In-Store Influences: A Study of Rural Buyers In India. International Academy of Business and Economics, October 2003, Las Vegas. (single author)
12. Walworth Orchards (India) Ltd. Presented to the North American Case Research Association (NACRA) for its annual meeting, November 2003, Tampa, Florida (joint second author. Two authors)
13. The Relationship between Service Quality and Behavioral Intentions: A Comparative Evaluation in Retail Banking Context, International Conference on Marketing Strategies for Firms in Emerging Markets, Kozhikode, 2004 (joint second author. Two authors)
14. Modeling the Relationship between Service Quality, Satisfaction & Value: A Relative Attitudinal Approach, ??INFORMS Marketing Science Conference, Rotterdam, Netherlands, June 23-26, 2004 (joint second author. Four authors)
15. Modeling the relationship between service quality and behavioral intentions: A comparative evaluation approach, Marketing Paradigms for Emerging Economies, Ahmedabad, January 2005. (joint second author. Two authors)
16. A Critical Analysis of Marketing Strategies of CavinKare: Lessons for Companies Operating in Emerging Economies for the 8th South Asian Management Forum, December 2004, Lahore. (joint second author. Two authors)
17. On the Similarities of Online Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty Models in Disparate Contexts. 2007 INFORMS Marketing Science Conference, Singapore, June 28-30, 2007 (joint third author. Three authors)
18. Implementing e-CRM using intelligent agents on the internet, International Conference on Service Systems and Service Management, Melbourne 2008 (joint second author. Two authors)
19. Sustainability and Responsibility: Curricula Integration and Research Development, AACSB International World Class Practices in Management Education Conference, Shanghai, May 31 - June 2, 2009 (single author)
20. GM crops Controversy: Stakeholder analysis of the case of Bt Brinjal (eggplant) in India. ANZCA 2010 conference on Media, Democracy and Change at Canberra Australia (July 7-9, 2010). (single author)&aymp;l;/>
21. Positioning a Green Brand. ANZCA 2010 conference on Media, Democracy and Change at anberra Austalia July 7-9, 2010). (single author)
22. A mathematical approach for advertising effectiveness measurement and media planning, 2nd Annual Complexity in Business Conference, Washington DC on November 12, 2010. (Joint second author. Two authors)
23. Salespersons Customer Orientation and Sales Performance Relationship: Moderating Influence of Salespersons Self-Leadership Strategies and Emotional Intelligence, First International Marketing Conference at IIM, Kolkata, Dec 27-29, 2010. (Joint second author. Two authors)
24. Green Printing: Formulating a Marketing Plan, Western Economic Association Internationals 9th Biennial Pacific Rim Conference Brisbane during April 26-29, 2011. (Joint first author. Two authors)
25. Creating Entry Barriers in a commoditized market: A case study of a Petroleum Company in India, Academy of Business Research Conference, Atlantic City, New Jersey USA September 13-15, 2011. (Joint first author. Two authors)
26. Scaling up in Small Scale Enterprises: Case study of two Indian Organizations, Academy of Business Research Conference in Atlantic City, New Jersey USA September 13-15, 2011. (Joint first author. Two authors)
27. Spheres of Innovation Potential in Expanding India Markets, Leveraging India: Strategies for Global Competitiveness, Sydney, Australia April 11 - 12, 2012
28. CSR Initiatives in India, IADIS International Conference on Sustainability, Technology and Education 2012 Perth November 2012 (joint first author. Four authors)
29. Work Life Balance: Working Women in the IT sector in India, Thirteenth International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations conference, Darwin, Australia from June 26-28, 2013. (joint second author. Two authors)
30. Retail Trade Area Analysis Using Huffs Model A Study in the Indian Context, Academy of Business Research Conference in San Antonio, TX USA September 18-20, 2013. (joint second author. Two authors)
31. Responsible Leadership: Learning from Indian Case Studies, Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management conference Hobart, December 2013 (single author)
32. Concern for Global Warming Amongst Professionals in Urban India, Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management conference Hobart, December 2013 (joint first author. Three authors)
33. Social Media Word-of-Mouth Influence on Consumer Decision Making: A Conceptual Framework, ANZCA 2014 Conference, Melbourne July 2014 (joint third author. Three authors)
34. Transition between Shopper Types: A Study of Food Buying by Indian Professionals, ANZMAC 2014 Conference, Brisbane, December 2014 (first author, three authors)
35. Impact of language on Brand perception amongst Gen Y in India, Sydney International Business Research Conference (SIBRC) 2015, Sydney, April 2015 (joint first author. Two authors)
36. An Exploratory study to evaluate the Impact of Social Marketing Campaigns in India" ANZ Academy of Marketing conference 2015, Sydney
37. Incorporating Sustainability in the Realm of Marketing ANZ Academy of Management conference December 6-9, 2016
38. Comparison of Consumer Loyalty Programmes in India and France Business, Economics, Social Sciences and Humanities Conference 2016 December 18-19, 2016
39. “Incorporating Sustainability in the Realm of Marketing: A Theoretical Framework”, was presented at the 30th ANZ Academy of Management Conference 2017 at Brisbane, Australia.
40. E-Waste Disposal Behaviour of ICT products by Indian Households International Conference on Sustainability, Technology & Education, December 11 – 13, 2017
41. Water and Carbon footprint of Pizza crust wastage in India", at the 12th International conference on Multidisciplinary Trends in Social Sciences and Business Research, Sydney,December 2017
42. Ending the War between Sales and Marketing: Revisited International Conference on Economics and Business Management, August 24-25, 2018.
43. Integrating Circular Economy in B-Tech syllabus: Familiarity of CE amongst students at 7 th CR3+ (PRME) conference 2019 at La Trobe University, Melbourne, October 24-25, 2019
44. Management Curriculum: Integrating Circular Economy using Responsible Leadership and AoL Frameworks 7 th CR3+ (PRME) conference 2019 at La Trobe University, Melbourne, October 24-25, 2019
1. Brandwise Fertilizer Demand Estimation: An Optimal Inventory Model. National Symposium on Optimization Techniques "OPTEC NS 92", Madurai, July 1992 (single author).
2. Understanding the Information overload on Indian farmers: An Information processing model. 29th Annual Convention of Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, Tirupathy, February 1992 (single author).
3. Philosophical Perspectives of Human Resources Development. 29th Annual Convention of Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, Tirupathy, February 1992 (single author).
4. Diffusion of Sprinkler Irrigation system: A new product sales forecasting. 25th Annual Convention of the Operational Research Society of India Ahmedabad, December 1992 (joint second author. Two authors).
5. Application of the Dynamic Fertiliser Monthly Demand Model to other Agricultural Inputs. 25th Annual Convention of the Operational Research Society ofIndia, Ahmedaad December 192 (single author).
6. Spatial Pattern of Food security Across the Districts of Jharkhand: Implications for Food based Interventions and Planning. UN-WFP State level Consultation on Food and Nutritional Security and the Role of Food assistance Schemes including Community Food Banks, Ranchi, 2002 (single author).
7. Policy reforms to take Jharkhand Forward. Conference on Industrial Development of Jharkhand- Challenges and Strategies, Annual Session, CII, Jharkhand Council, March 2003 (single author).
8. Arti Balakrishna: Stay at home mom to Strengthening Foundations for the future, National Convention On Responsible Leadership, Jamshedpur, November 2011 (joint first author. Two authors)
9. Neev Herbal Soaps: Marketing orientation for a Social Exnterprise, National Convention On Responsible Leadership, Jamshedpur, November 2011 (joint second author. Two authors)
10. Disposal behavior of ICT products, National Conference on E-waste Management, Jamshedpur, January, 2016
Sales and Distribution Management: An Integrative Approach (Sage, New Delhi)
Key note presentation
Published articles in newspapers/magazines
Cases developed for Teaching purpose
1. A Critical Analysis of Marketing Strategies of CavinKare: Lessons for Companies Operating in Emerging Economies. Asian Case Research Journal, 2008 vol 12, no. 1, p. 1-28 (joint second author. Two authors)
2. Case analysis: The B-School Medley: Plug in the loop holes. The Smart Manager Oct-Nov 2004 Vol 3 Issue 4 (single author)
3. Case analysis: Naukri.com. Vikalpa Volume 30, no4 Oct 2005 (single author)
4. Mixing Business with CSR. Submitted to IIUM Journal of Case Studies in Management (joint first author. Two authors)
5. Rural Consumer Engagement Programs: A Case study of a Mobile company, XLRI, Case development Cell, XLRI, 2012 (joint first author. Two authors)
6. E-Octopus: A Project on Castrol Service Marketing e-Initiatives, XLRI, Case development Cell, XLRI, 2013 (joint first author. Two authors)
7. Program Learning Goal, Case published in Envisioning the Future of Indian Management Education, Mc Graw Hill, 2015, New Delhi
Co-ordinating/Organizing Workshop/Conferences /MDPs
1. First National Conference on "Responsible leadership: Sharing of Case studies" November 2011 (conference proceedings published in November 2012)
2. Second National Conference on "Responsible leadership: Sharing of Case studies" November 2012 (conference proceedings likely to be published November 2013)
3. International Conference on Research in Marketing, December 2013 (jointly with Curtin University, Perth and IIT, Delhi)
4. National Conference of E-waste Management (January 2016)
Guide/evaluator/ examiner at doctoral research level
External evaluator of doctoral thesis:
1. Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
2. Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata
3. MS University, Baroda
4. University of Calcutta, Kolkata
5. National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
Membership of Professional Bodies
1. Board Member Tata Metaliks, January 2012 onwards
2. Board Member Jamshepur Continuous Annealing and Processing Company Pvt Ltd, February 2015 onwards
3. Board Member Tata Metaliks DI Pipes Limited, January 2016 onwards
4. Advisor Kerzon Consultants, 2008 - 2012
Professional Services such as Member/Editor of Editorial Board/ Advisory Committee etc
1. Associate Editor Volume 13, issue 1, The International Journal of Organizational Diversity
2. International Journal of Management and Cross-Cultural Research
3. Jamshedpur Research Review
4. SURVEY - Indian Institute of Social Welfare Business Management journal
5. ELK Asia Pacific Journals
6. Special Edition of the International Journal of Emerging Markets
7. Amity Journal of Marketing
ACADEMIC COUNCIL MEMBER :
1. Jamshedpur Womens College, Jamshedpur
2. National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
3. National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management, Hyderabad
4. GITAM, University, Vishakapatnam
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore
- Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi??
- Indian Institute of Management, Kashipur
- Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubnaeswar
- National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Agricultural Marketing, Jaipur
- American University, Armenia
Guest lectures at International Schools
1.School of Management, RMIT University, Melbourne
2.School of Management, Loyola University, Chicago