Dr Sanjay Patro
Qualification : B.Sc. (Engg.), PGDRM (IRMA), Ph.D. (Berhampur)
Email : email@example.com
Functional Area : Marketing
- Ph. D: Awarded Ph.D in Business Administration from Berhampur University, India, on the topic "Consumer Information Search Behaviour" in July, 1996.
- PGDRM: Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA) ,1987
- B.Sc (Engg. and Tech): CAET, OUAT, Bhubaneswar ,1985.
1.Professor of Marketing at XLRI, Jamshedpur since July, 2005
2.Associate Professor of Marketing at XLRI, Jamshedpur during July 2000-June 2005 and as Associate Dean, FPM and Research since June, 2009
3.Assistant Professor of Marketing during April,1997-June,2000
4.Lecturer in the Marketing Area at the Dept. of Business Administration, Berhampur University, Berhampur, Orissa during September 1987 to March 1997
5.Assistant Manager at Orissa Milk Marketing Federation , Bhubaneswar during April- September 15,1987
Dr Sanjay Patro
Area of RESEARCH INTERESTS
1.Brand Management, Social Role of Brands, Marketing in Emerging Countries
2.Role of Brands in Managing Consumer mobility in Society
3.Strategies and Tactics to Build, Measure, and Manage Brand Equity
4.Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of Integrated Marketing Communication Programs
6.Technology Adoption and Mass Diffusion of Technology
7.Case Studies on Strategic Marketing, Product Management and Brand Management
1. Product and Brand Management
2. Strategic Marketing
3. Services Marketing
4. Rural Marketing/ Marketing in Emerging Countries
Courses offered to Doctoral Students:
1. Advances in Marketing Management
2. Pedagogy for Management Teachers
1.Member of the Executive Council of Jharkhand Education Project Council, constituted by Govt. of Jharkhand for execution of universal primary education in the state of Jharkhand from 2007 continuing till date
2.DISE Project for Council of Jharkhand Education Project Council, JEPC, Ranchi
3.Selected as Marketing Advisor, Spices Board, Cochin (Government of India) for their Programmes to Enhance Exports of Value Added Branded Products to US and other Markets during 2002-03
4.Selected as an outside expert in the Evaluation Committee of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) for appointment of Distributors and Dealers for their cellular operations in Jharkhand and Bihar in the year 2002
5.A member of the Study Team to design the Jharkhand Development Report for the Planning Commission of India during 2000-2001
6.Estimation of Marketing Potential for an Amusement Park at Jamshedpur for the Nicco Group, Kolkata
7.Was the Project Coordinator of Small Farmers Agri-business Consortium (SFAC) in Ganjam District, sponsored by M.S.Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai. The project was submitted to the foundation in the year January, 1995
8.Was a member of the Consultancy Team for the assignment on Marketing of DWCRA and IRD Products in Orissa sponsored jointly by UNICEF and Panchayatiraj Department,Govt. of Orissa,Bhubaneswar during 1993-94
- Sustainable Distribution in Emerging Markets - African Perspective. Transnational Marketing Journal, Vol.2, No:1, pp.39
- Roy Choudhury, Indranil , Sanjay Patro, P. Venugopal and D. Israel A Study on Consumer Adoption of Technology-Facilitated Services", Journal of Services Marketing, Vol. 28, 2013, Iss 6 pp. 471-483.
- P Sanjay Sarathy & Sanjay Patro, The Role of Opinion Leaders in High-Involvement Purchases: An Empirical Investigation,[South Asian Journal of Management, Vol.-20, Issue-2, April-June, 2013, pp 127-145]
- Patro , Sanjay, ICICI Bank: Brand Building in Retail Banking,[Management and Labour Studies, Vol. 38, No.3, August 2013, pp. 277-295]
- Patro ,Sanjay, Branding of High Technology Products [ Journal, Management Guru: Journal of Management Research, Volume 1, No. 1, August-October 2012, pp19-23]
- Abraham ,Aby K & Sanjay Patro, XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC) Royal Enfield: Brand Renaissance [ MK/012/11/12]
- Patro, Sanjay, XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC), Lubrizol: Creating Points of Differentiation in B2B Markets [ MK/013/12/12]
- Patro, Sanjay. (2012). Infosys: Building a Leadership Brand. XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC), Case reference no. MK/010/03/12.
- Patro, Sanjay. (2012), Desicrew BPO: Putting Bharat in Global Arena. XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC), Case reference no. MK/011/03/12.
- Patro, Sanjay, Satpathy, A., & Majumdar, S. (2011).Amul: Assessment of Distributor`s Performance. XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC), Case reference no. MK/007/08/11.
- Patro, S., & Srikanth, A. (2011).Britannia: Entry into Snacks Category in India. XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC), Case reference no. MK/006/08/11.
- Patro, Sanjay K and Vinay Kumar Apollo Health and Lifestyle Limited: Retail Franchising in the Healthcare IndustryVikalpa, April June, 2009, the research publication of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- Patro, Sanjay K and Vinay KumarVasant Scribes Ltd: Growth Challenges of an IT Enabled Services Firm"(2008) A case published by London Business School and cleared by European Case Clearing House(ECCH)
- Patro, Sanjay K and Sanjeev Varshney (2009) Brand Awareness and Preference in Rural MarketsConference proceedings on Rural Marketing ,organized by IIM, Kozhikode ,April,2008
- Patro, Sanjay K. and Anand Jaiswal Consumer Evaluations of Brand Extensions: Evidence from India, Journal of Academy of Business and Economics, Volume 1,No.2
- Patro, Sanjay K., Anand Jaiswal and Sharad Sarin Barista: Brewing a Coffee Revolution in IndiaDecision,Vol.30,No.2,July-December,2003
- Patro, Sanjay, Growth and Challenges of Rural Markets, Management and Labour Studies, Vol. 25, No.3, May ,2001
- Positioning: The Fountainhead Decision, Indian Management,Vol. No. 5,October ,AIMA, New Delhi .1992
- Managing the Media Explosion: The Challenges Ahead, The Indian Journal of Commerce, vol. XLV, part II,1992
- The Growth and Challenges of Rural Market, edited book Emerging Trends in Indian Marketing in the 90s, S.C Sahoo and P.K.Sinha (Ed), Academic Foundation, New Delhi,1991
1.Patro, Sanjay Perspectives on Bottom of Pyramid Research in AMA-AIM Sheth Doctoral Consortium at Institute of Management and Technology (IMT Ghaziabad), New Delhi during Jan 7-9,2016
2.Abraham, Aby, Patro, Sanjay, Belk Russel and Pradhan. D Exclusivity and Consumptionpresented a paper in Consumer Culture Theory Conference 2016 at University of Arkansas, Arkansas, USA ,June 18-21,2015.
3.Katyal, Kanhu and Patro, Sanjay Conaumer Characteristics and Brand Loyalty in AMA-AIM Sheth Doctoral Consortium, IMT Dubai, Jan 18-19,2015
4.Sarangi, Subrat, Pradhan, Debasis; Kumar, Ravi Shekhar & Patro, Sanjay, Towards a Sustainable Distribution Strategy in Emerging. Presented at the 2014 Annual Conference of Emerging Markets Conference Board, at IIM Lucknow (Noida campus), January 9-11, 2014
5.Sarangi, Subrat; Pradhan, Debasis; Patro, Sanjay & Kumar, Ravi Shekhar,Sustainable Distribution in Emerging Markets Presented at the 2014 Annual Conference of the Emerging Markets Conference Board, IIM. Lucknow (Noida Campus), January 9 11, 2014
6.Sarathy, Sanjay; Patro, Sanjay and Varshney, Sanjeev, Social Signaling and Conspicuous Consumption of Low Income Consumers in Emerging Countries. Presented at the 2014 Annual Conference of Emerging Markets Conference Board, IIM Lucknow (Noida campus) , January 9-11, 2014
7. Abraham, Aby & Patro, Sanjay, Understand Consumers Meaning Presented in the 2014 Conference of the Emerging Marketing Conference Board hosted by the Centre for Marketing in Emerging Countries, IIM Lucknow, NOIDA Campus, January 9-11, 2014.
8.Patro, Sanjay & Abraham, Aby, "Country of Origin, Effect and Consumer Decision Making" Presented at the International Conference on Research in Marketing (ICRM 2013) jointly organized by IIT Delhi, XLRI School of Management and Curtin University, Australia, held in New Delhi , December 21-22, 2013
9.Sanjay Patro, Innovations in Emerging Markets-Experiments in India, Presented in International Conference in collaboration with American Marketing Association, Bangalore, July 29-30, 2012
10.Sanjay Patro, Product Development and Innovation Management Presented at the Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium organized by the Academy of Indian Marketing Association in partnership with Alliance University, Bangalore, July 27-29, 2012
11.Indranil Roy Chowdhury and Sanjay Patro, Adoption of Technology Facilitated Services Study of Business Correspondent Banking.Presented at IIM-L International Conference in Marketing, Noida Campus, India during January 12-14, 2012
12.Patro, S., Presented a paper on Role of Brand Awareness and Preference in the Purchases of Consumer Products in the International Conference of the Academy of Indian Marketing, New Delhi during December 16-18,2010
13.Patro, S., Presented paper on "Adoption factors of M-Payments in India " An empirical evaluation in the Indian context" at the International Conference held in Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai organised in collaboration with NASMEI, USA during Dec 23-24, 2010
14. RoyChowdhury, I. & Patro, S.K. 2010 Adoption factors for Mobile Payments systems among consumers in India, paper presented at Fourth Great Lakes-NASMEI Marketing Conference, Chennai, India.
15.Delivered a Key Note Address on Marketing In a Digital Economy, at a National Workshop on Marketing Illigence conducted at VIT School of Management, Vellore on February 19, 2007.
16.Patro Sanjay Kumar and Pingali Venugopal In-store Influences: A Study of Rural Buyers in India, Annual Conference of International Academy of Business and Economics, October 19-22,2003.Las Vegas, USA
17.Presented a paper titled Country of Origin and Challenges before South Asian Entrepreneur in the Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA) at Male, during April 12-14, 2002
18.A research paper titled Branding in High Technology Products is accepted for presentation in the International Conference on Marketing of Technology Products and Services organized by Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore during December 27-28,2002
19.A research paper titled "Consumer Evaluations of Brand Extensions: Evidence from India" to be presented in the International Conference organized by International Academy of Business and Economics, Las Vegas, USA, October 19-22, 2003
20.Building Global Brands- A Strategic Approach presented at the International Conference organized at MDI, Gurgaon, during December 21-22, 2001.
21.Presented a paper titled Innovation and Branding-The Emerging Paradigm at the International Conference organized at MDI, Gurgaon, during December 21-22, 2001.
Key note presentation
Co-ordinating/Organizing Workshop/Conferences /MDPs
I have offered several Management Development Programmes of 4-5 days duration for senior and middle level managers of corporates over last seven years on the following topics:
1. Strategic Brand Management
2. Product Strategy and New Product Management
3. Customer Experience Management for Building Strong Brands
4. Strategies for Tapping Rural Markets
Besides these MDPs I have conducted several customized Programmes for different corporates on the above mentioned topics. Offered progrmmes on Business Leadership for Emerging Leaders for several corporates like Tata Motors, MRF Ltd, , Ashok Leyland and Mahindra & Mahindra, Taj Group of Hotels, Tata Steel and Titan Indusries Ltd.
Contribution towards Institution building/ development/ services such as Chairperson (Placement) etc
Invited to deliver Keynote addresses/ speeches
1.Delivered a Key Note Address on " Marketing In a Digital Economy, at a National Workshop on " Marketing Intelligence" conducted at VIT School of Management ,Vellore on February 19,2007
2.I was invited by Confederation of Indian Industry, (CII) Kolkata,2003 as a Speaker in the Brand Conclave targeted at senior managers of different organizations.
Membership of Professional Bodies
1.Consumer Culture Theory Consortium
2.Academy of Indian Marketing
- IIM Kozhikode
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
Research Project Undertaken
- Undertaken a research study on Co-operative Marketing of Handlooms and Handicrafts sponsored by Institute of Rural Management ,Anand (IRMA) in 1992
- Evaluation of SSA Project in Jharkhand, sponsored by Ministry of HRD,Govt of India
- DISE Project, sponsored by JEPC, Govt. of Jharkhand.