Dr Smitu Malhotra
Qualification : M.B.E. (Delhi Univ.), Ph.D. (IIT Kharagpur)
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Functional Area : Marketing
WORK EXPERIENCE - ACADEMIC
XLRI Jamshedpur -
1. Sept 2004 Nov 2005 -Visiting faculty at XLRI
2. Dec 2005 - 2012 - Assistant Professor of Marketing, XLRI, School of Management, Jamshedpur
3. August 2012- present -Associate Professor of Marketing, XLRI School of Management, Jamshedpur
4. Till 2003 -Pursuing PhD Research
5. 1994 1996 -Associated with the International Management Center of XLRI as the sole resource person with Prof Sharad Sarin, Organized a conference of Top Management on Creating the Indian MNCs Towards a national agenda. Prepared a comprehensive monograph, one of its kind, providing comprehensive data on the Indian firms and their globalization status and received high appreciation for the same.
WORK EXPERIENCE - CONSULTANCY :
1. Jan 2008-2009
Handled a consultancy project (240 days) with a one of the largest food retailers in India- Spencers Retail - with approx. 300 stores spread across all over India
The main projects handled included Analyzing the store location assessment procedures
Mapping and improving store operation processes for the entire eastern region Studying procedures for new store openings Designing and handling Marketing and Visual Merchandising activities Inventory assessment for stores in the northern region
Customer Profiling of TSWWS retail stores Tata Steel
Carried out the customer profiling and visual merchandising study with the above mentioned retailer for their 10 stores and suggested improvements
Involved in profiling the customers of the stores and based on that suggested changes in Store operations, Product assortment, Visual merchandising of the stores. The stores doubled their turnover in a period of 3 months from implementation of the suggested changes.
3. MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM (MDPs)
Co-ordinator of the 2 day workshop organized for Tata Power employees on Basic Marketing Skills Training sessions taken in the In-company program on Retailing Basics for Madura Fashion Ltd.
WORK EXPERIENCE - INDUSTRY: 1991-1993
Worked with Onida group of companies (one of the top three organizations in India then, with a market share of over 25 % in the TV market) as a marketing executive.
Job profile: - Involved in analyzing the market scenario, sales performance of Onida vis--vis competitors through research projects of the marketing department
Assisting the Marketing Manager in implementation of advertising campaign, activities like fairs and exhibitions
Involved in product launches of colour televisions and washing machines
Also responsible for designing effective sales promotion activities to assist the sales efforts
Dr Smitu Malhotra
1. Chairperson of Committee Against Sexual Harassment (CASH) at the workplace. 2010 present. Have been instrumental in implementation of the policy in the institute and have successfully handled the few instances that emerged.
2. Core team member of the committee working for AACSB accreditation contributing towards developing learning goals and their respective measurement rubrics.
1. On the Faculty Board of School of Business Studies, Sarda University, Greater Noida , Dec 2014.
2. Invited as Retail Expert and nominated as member of the Mentor Council for Organized retail sector by Ministry of Labour and Employment , GOI Jan 2014
3. Member -of an Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) to inquire into the complaints of sexual harassment of female employees and female students of NIT Jamshedpur.
1. Participated in conference as a delegate on Unleashing India`s consumption potential organized by Retailers Association of India , Mumbai 2011
2. Attended Case writing workshop of Professors Toby Canto and Professor Francisco L. Roman, Asian Institute of Management, Manila, organized by Xavier School of Management , Jamshedpur in 2010
3. Participated in Marketing and Retail Conclave organized by KSA Technopak, in 2007
4. Attended the Case Teaching Workshop organized by Prof N Ravichandran, IIM Ahemdabad in 2006
Retail management which has been my primary course was introduced as an elective course for the first time in XLRI in 2006 by me, when organized retail industry, was in the nascent stages of development in India. This course has been running very well with almost 80% of the business management students opting for this course as an elective. The course involves a strong industry interaction and practical inputs.
My other courses include:
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Services Management
- Competition and Globalization
Have been receiving High and Consistent student feedback for the courses (of 4.7- 5.6 on a scale of 6.)
1. "E.Schrodinger and the first store In India"Rajkumar and Malhotra Smitu with XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC) along with the Teaching Note with the Registration No: XLRI101625, January 2016
2. Marketing A Sensitive Issue - Malhotra, Smitu and Anita Sarkar XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC) along with the Teaching Note. Registration no [ XLRI101406] 2014
3. Green Retailing -Malhotra, Smitu , in Business Markets Plus - April 2012 -vol 1 No.1 - Journal of Bimtech Institute.
4. SEWA: Creating Women Entrepreneurs -Smitu Malhotra and Madhukar Shukla ,- chapter published in a book Women Technology and Entrepreneurship,"- 2009 ,published by Reference Publishers, New Delhi.
1. Firm level competitive practices Smitu Malhotra, Lambert Publications, Germany, 2010
1.Marketing A Sensitive Issue 4th Asian Management Research and Case Conference (AMRC) 2015. At Pusat Pengajian Siswazah Perniagaan Graduate School of Business ,Universiti Sains Malaysia ,11800 USM ,Pulau Pinang
2.Retail Trade Area Analysis Using Huffs Model ,A Study in the Indian Context has been accepted for presentation at the Academy of Business Research Conference in San Antonio, TX USA September 18-20, 2013.
3.Influencing FMOT for FMCG Brands: The role of an in-store promoter (An Indian Experience) CIBMPs Annual Conference on Innovations in Management & Doctoral Symposium, University of London ,February 27, 2012
4. Green Retail Responding To Growing Concern For The Environment. Presented at :- WEAI`s 9th Biennial Pacific Rim Conference , April 26-29, 2011, Hosted by Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane
1.Practices for Competitiveness of Indian firms : special reference to globalization, co-authored this paper was presented at the National Seminar on Corporate Reincarnations: reaching New Horizons, RIMS, Orissa 24- 25 Feb 2006
2.Firm Level Competitive Practices In Indian Industry: With Special Reference To Globalization this paper presented in the 3rd International Conference on Globalization and Competitiveness, IIT Kharagpur, Jan 2005
3.Multinational Corporations: Compilation of Facts and Views Prepared this monograph for the conference on Creating the Indian MNCs, XLRI, Jamshedpur,1995
Published articles in newspapers/magazines
1. Time Right For Retail To Go Green In India , published in the Financial Express ,6th May 2013
Cases developed for Teaching purpose
1. A case to highlight the layout and visual merchandising techniques not published but using in class ( developed in ) 2009
Work under Progress:
1. Case- The Dilemma of CASH Committee work under progress
2. Retail trade area analysis using Huffs model A study in the Indian context. In the final stages of writing the paper.
Invited to deliver Keynote addresses/ speeches
1. Invited as a Special Guest on opening of the first all women post- office in Jamshedpur Jharkand in August 2013 - and delivered a speech on women empowerment.