Dr Manish Singhal
Qualification : B. E. (Mechanical), PGDM (Finance), Fellow (PhD), IIM Calcutta
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Functional Area : Organizational Behaviour
Languages Known : Assamese, English, Hindi
- Bachelor of Engineering Madhav Institute of Technology and Sciences, Gwalior, Mechanical 1991
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Finance) Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar [Finance, General Management] 1994
- Fellow, IIM Calcutta [Behavioral Sciences]
- Title of Ph.D. Thesis: SPIRITUALITY AT WORK: A STUDY OF INDIAN NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
- Professor - XLRI, Jamshedpur [since April 2006]
- Trainee Group Member J K Synthetics Ltd. Jhalawar [5 months]
- Jeevan Vrati (Missionary) Vivekananda Kendra [72 Months]
Dr Manish Singhal
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
Area of RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Intensive Coach Training , Franklin Covey, Bangalor (October 2007)
- 10th International Leadership Association Annual Global Conference, Funded by the Packard Foundation Venue: Los Angeles, California (November 200)
- Individual Behavior in Organizations [HRM core course]
- Individual and Group Behavior in Organizations [HRM core course]
- Leadership & Group Behavior in Organizations [BM core course]
- Personal Effectiveness and Self-Leadership [BM & HRM elective]
- Organizational Change & Development [GMP elective & VIL course]
- Doctoral Seminar in Organization Theory [EFPM & FPM elective]
- Executive Development (Training) experience: Design, development & delivery
- "Self-Mastery", "Mastering 1-to-1 Relationships", "Managing 1-to-Many Relationships" & "Business Leadership" modules (2, 3, 5 & 3 days) - respectively Metalsa India Pvt. Ltd. [top leadership] [A 4-module Integrated Leadership Development Program]
- "Manager,s Changing Role", "Managing Performance", & "Leadership" modules for LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT (3, 2 & 3 days) - TALISMA Corporation Pvt. Ltd. [A 3-module Integrated Leadership Development Program]
- "Self-Mastery", "Mastering 1-to-1 Relationships" modules [The 1st two of a 3-module Integrated Leadership Development Program] (2 & 2 days) - Jabong.com [an eCommerce firm]
- Behavioral Sciences [an integrated O.B. program] (12 days) - Commercial Taxes department, Govt. of Bihar
- Core Management Skills [in 3 modules of 3 days each] - 9 days - Adhunik Power & Natural Resources Ltd.
- Skills for Managerial Effectiveness (5 days) - Jharkhand State Livelihoods Promotion Society
- GYANODAYA [a comprehensive cross-functional Management & Leadership Development program] (30 days) -Britannia Industries Ltd.
- Training Program for Management Trainees (HR) (28 days) - Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. [2013 & 2014]
- General Management Effectiveness (3 days) - Department of Posts, Govt. of India
- Foundation Course on Management [6 batches] [a cross-functional Management Development Program] (12 days) - NTPC Ltd.
- General Management Orientation Program [2 batches] (6 days) - viacom18 Media Pvt. Ltd.
- Managing Human Behavior at work (4 days) - UltraTech Cements Ltd.
- People Management Program [6 batches] (4 days) - Madura Fashion & Lifestyle
- Role of Behavioral Skills in Governance [for Chief Engineers & GMs] (2 days) - Bihar State Electricity Board [though BIPARD, Govt. of Bihar]
- Empowering Women Leadership (3 days) - Indian Oil Coporation Ltd.
- Leadership: The Next Frontier (2 days) - MECON
- Leadership Excellence through Self-Discovery (6 days) - Balmer Lawrie & Co. Ltd.
- Advanced Leadership Program for senior executives Personal and Leadership Effectiveness [16 batches] (6 days) - TATA STEEL [top leadership]
- Leadership Boot Camp (4 & 3 days) - Max New York Life Insurance Ltd.
- Leadership and Change Management [6 batches] (4 & 3 days) - Max New York Life Insurance Ltd.
- Young Leaders Academy [3 batches in 2010, 2012 & 2014] (6 days) - ActionAid India [Senior Management Team]
- Leadership Development School [2 batches] (5 days) - Bank of India [for AGMs & DGMs]
- Leadership Effectiveness (6 days) - PepsiCo Ltd.
- Leadership Training Program [2 batches] (3 days) - BMR Advisors [Professional services firm]
- Leadership Excellence - (3 days) - ALSTOM Ltd. [for Heads of Departments]
- Personal and Leadership Effectiveness [2 batches] - Hindustan Zinc Ltd. [Vedanta] (3 days), Reserve Bank of India [AGMs & DGMs] (5 days), SBI Life Insurance Co. Ltd. (3 days)
- Leading Teams to Successful Change (3 days) - Tropical General Investments, Nigeria
- Leading Teams for Synergy (4 days) - NHPC Ltd. & SBI-Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Leading Teams to Synergy (3 days) - TATA STEEL
- Leading Teams for Synergy (4 days) - Vesuvius India Ltd.
- Team-building for Results (2 days) - Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Managerial Effectiveness through Self-awareness (3 days) - Tropical General Investments, Nigeria
- Emotional Intelligence (2 days) - Vodafone Essar Ltd.
- Emotional Intelligence for Interpersonal Effectiveness (3 days) - HINDALCO Industres Ltd.
- BEYOND COPING: Thriving & Flourishing together for Growth (ys) - Jindal teel Works
- Emonal Intelligence & Stress Management (2 days) - Whirlpool India Ltd.
- Influencing Skills (4 days) - Madura Fashion & Lifestyle
- Negotiation Skills (2 days) - HINDALCO Industries Ltd.
- Creativity, Problem-Solving & Decision-Making (5 days) - NHPC Ltd.
- Creativity, Problem-Solving & Decision-Making [5 batches] (3 days) - SBI Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Communication Skills (7 days) - NASA, Govt. of India
- Interviewing Skills (2 days) - Tata Power Company Ltd.
- Counseling Skills (2 days) - Tata Quality Management Services
- Mentoring Skills & Processes [for Heads of Departments] (2 days) - HINDALCO Industries Ltd
- Rural Business Opportunities & Emerging Challenges (4 days) - Department of Posts, Govt. of India
- Stress & Time Management (1 day) - ACMA Eastern Region
In addition, have developed and conducted a number of 5-, 11-, and 25-days (90 minutes per day) modules on Yogasana, Pranayama and Meditation for executive education participants. Similar themes for training sessions have been:
- Spiritual Intelligence for Leadership success and Yoga: The science of holistic living.
In addition, designed and conducted training sessions for in-house programs for a variety of organizations viz., Accenture, BALCO [Vedanta group], Bharat Electronics Ltd., Canara Bank, Jharkhand Education Project Council, Larsen & Toubro, Oil India Ltd., Novo Nordisk, Reliance Capital Asset Management Ltd., Tech Mahindra, amongst others.
- Buddhism and Decision Making at Individual, Group and Organization Levels, Journal of Management Development, Emerald Publishing, Vol 33, Isuure 8/9, 2014.
- Workplace Spirituality Facilitation: A Person-Organization Fit Approach, Priyanka Vallabh and Manish Singhal, Journal of Human Values, 2014, 20(2): 193207.
- The Shadow of Negative Mentoring at the workplace: Is Negative Affect a Mediator Between Mentoring Experiences and a Decline in Organisational Citizenship Behaviour of the Prot??g Management of Labour Studies Vol 38(4).
- BHAKTIVEDANTA HOSPITAL SERVING IN DEVOTION, In South Asian Journal of Management, Vol. 21 (1) (in press).
- To Work or Not to Work: Construction of Meaning of Work and Making Work Choices", published in Vikalpa Vol. 39, No.2, Apr-Jun 2014.
- Kumar, P & Singhal, M., Exploring how meaningful sensegiving and sensemaking are for change agents and change recipients. International Journal of Learning and Change, Inderscience, 2012, vol 6:3.
- Reducing change management complexity: aligning change recipient sensemaking to change agent sensegiving; International Journal of Learning and Change, Vol. 6, No. ??, 2012.
- The Road Less Taken: The Trials and Travails of a Doctoral Journey, Research World, Volume 5, 2008 Report R5.12.
- Towards understanding and applying Spirituality at Work: Development of a Conceptual Framework.[co-authored with Prof. Leena Chatterjee.] [D] published in Journal of Human Values [a SAGE journal] December 2006, 12(2), 161-178.
- Spirituality at Work: A Study of Indian non-profit Organizations, 2010, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, Germany. [ISBN-10: 3838374703; ISBN-13: 978-3838374703]
Chapters in Scholarly books
- Indigenous healing traditions amongst the Adis, [co-authored with Sarma, J.] In Tamo Mibang and Sarit K. Chaudhari (Eds.) Understanding Tribal Religion. New Delhi, Mittal Publications, 2004. ISBN: 81-7099-945-6.
- Singhal, M. and Marathe, G. M. (2016), Bringing the MEANING back into the Process of Leadership, Conference on "Indian Ethos in Contemporary Management", [Vivekananda Kendra AICYAM, Bhubaneswar]
- Singhal, M., & Vallabh, P. (2011). Workplace Spirituality Facilitation- A Person-Organization Fit Approach. Spirituality Leadership & Management: Wisdom at Work, 8th International Conference, Sydney Australia.
- Marathe, G.M., Singhal, M., & Thakur, M. (2011).The Integrated Model for Leadership Theory. Eastern Academy of Management International Conference, Bangalore
- Marathe, G.M., Singhal, M. & Thakur, M. (2011). Integrated Model for Leadership Theory Development - 3Cs. COSMOR 2011, IISc Bangalore
- Singhal, M. (2009) Spirituality at work: Does Context Matter?, Inaugural Indian Academy of Management Conference at XLRI Jamshedpur
- Singhal, M., Leena Chatterjee (2005). Towards understanding and applying Spirituality at Work: Development of a Conceptual Framework. in Proceedings of the V Hawaii International Conference on Business, 2005
- Exploring negative mentoring experiences of proteges in relation to negative affect and organizational citizenship behavior. Presented at the 3rd biennial conference of the Indian Academy of Management (IAM), 2013 at IIM-A, December 13th, 2013. ISBN: 978-81-920800-2-4.
- Manish Singhal Presented a paper on Spiritually at work:Does Context Matter? at the Inaugural Conference of The Indian Academy of Management held at XLRI Jamshedpur on Dec 2009
- Towards understanding and applying Spirituality at Work: Development of a Conceptual Framework. [co-authored with Prof. Leena Chatterjee] IIM Calcutta Working Paper Series, WPS-560, August 2005
Cases developed for Teaching purpose
- `FIAMCHI; FISHING IN TROUBLED WATER` with XLRI Case Development Centre (XLCDC)
Chairperson/Co-Chairperson in conferences
- Exploring the Process of Leadership: The Self Reliance Campaign, Chitrakoot - A Case Study
- Relationship between Workplace Spirituality and Moral Judgment Competence: Role of Empathy
- Bringing The Bott Hypothesis back in: Spousal overlap as a basis for cognitive accuracy in organisational social networks
Co-ordinating/Organizing Workshop/Conferences /MDPs
- The Inaugural Indian Academy of Management Conference at XLRI [December 2009]
Guide/evaluator/ examiner at doctoral research level
several OB Area FPM and EFPM students.
Professional Services such as Member/Editor of Editorial Board/ Advisory Committee etc
- Member, Academy of Management, USA (since 2006)