Prof. Sumit Sarkar
Qualification : Ph.D. (JNU)
Email : email@example.com
Functional Area : Economics
Scopus Author ID: 57201193915
RePEc Short-ID: psa1534 https://ideas.repec.org/f/psa1534.html
- Full Professor, XLRI, from January 2019
- Associate Professor, XLRI, from August 2009 to December 2018
- Assistant Professor, XLRI, from June 2007 to July 2009
- Assistant Professor, IIT Kanpur, India, from June 2006 to June 2007.
- Assistant Professor, IIM Kozhikode, India from June 2004 to June 2006.
- Sr. Lecturer, Centre for Economics and Management Sciences in the Institute of Technology and Management, Gurgaon,India, from August 2001 to June 2004. (London School of Economics External Program).
Prof. Sumit Sarkar
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
UGC Research Fellowship (JRF and SRF) from 1997 to 2001.
Area of RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Applied Game Theory (specifically Contract theory)
- Experimental and Behavioural Economics
- Behavioural Operations
- Industrial Organization and Network Economics
- Sports Economics and Performance Analysis in Sports
- Managerial Economics
- Game Theory for Managers
- Experimental Economics for Managers
- Industrial Organization and competitive strategies
- Economics of Network Industries
Jharkhand Economic Survey 2010-11
Conducted training programs for organizations:
1. Aditya Birla Capital
2. Forbes Marshall Pvt. Ltd.
3. Tata Chemicals
4. Mashreq Bank (UAE)
6. Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
7. Oil India Ltd.
8. Indian Ordinance Factories.
10 most significant publications:
1. Sarkar, S. & Bhadouria, A. (2020). Manufacturer competition and collusion in a two-echelon green supply chain with production trade-off between non-green and green quality. Journal of Cleaner Production 253(C), 119904. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.119904
2. Bose, A. S., & Sarkar, S. (2019). India`s e-Reverse Auctions (2017-2018) for Allocating Renewable Energy Capacity: An Evaluation. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 112, 762-774. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2019.06.025
3. Sarkar, S. (2019). Gratitude, conscience, and reciprocity: models of supplier motivation when quality is non-contractible. European Journal of Operational Research 277(2), 633-642. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejor.2019.02.047
4. Sarkar, S. & Bose, A. S. (2019). Gift-selection for close recipients: how perceived similarity of preferees affect giver`s attitude. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 36(1), 24-32. DOI: 10.1108/JCM-12-2017-2473
5. Sarkar, S. & Chakraborty, S. (2019). Stakeholder fairness under an induced veil of ignorance: findings from a laboratory experiment. International Journal of Strategic Decision Sciences, 10(1), 65-81. DOI: 10.4018/IJSDS.2019010105
6. Sarkar, S. & Bharathkumar, S. R. (2018). Incorporating a no claim bonus in insurance agency contract. Managerial and Decision Economics, 39(6), 682-689. DOI: 10.1002/mde.2959
7. Sarkar, S. & Bose, A. S. (2018). Partially altruistic choice in presence of consensus bias. Journal of Quantitative Economics, 16(3), 853-861. DOI: 10.1007/s40953-018-0117-8.
8. Sarkar, S. (2018). Paradox of crosses in association football (soccer) a game-theoretic explanation. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, 14(1), 25-36. DOI: 10.1515/jqas-2017-0073
9. Mittal, M. and Sarkar, S. (2011). Multihoming behavior of users in social networking web sites: a theoretical model. Information Technology and People, 24(4), 378-392. DOI: 10.1108/09593841111182250
10. Sarkar, S. (2005). Patent licensing by a standard auction in presence of network externality. The Manchester School, 73(2), 228-245. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9957.2005.00443.x
Published Research Monographs
- Sarkar, S (2015) Outthink - How to use Game Theory to outsmart your competition Publisher: Sage Publications, November, 2015
- Sarkar, S (2009) Network Industries Economic Aspects of Compatibility, Technology Licensing and R&D Investments in Systems Market, Publisher: VDM Publishing House, Germany; July 2009
- Sarkar, S. and Chakraborty, S. (2016) `Determinants of Non-penalty Goals Scored per Game by Football Teams in Europe`s Elite Leagues` Proceedings of the 28th European Conference on Operational Research, EURO 2016, July 3-6, 2016, in Poznan University of Technology, Poznan, Poland.
- Sarkar, S. and Chakraborty, S. (2016) "Does Rawls` `Original Position` Induce Fairness? Experimental Findings on Selection Criteria in a Discrete Nash Demand Game Played from Behind the `Veil of Ignorance`" Proceedings of the 7th International Conference of the French Association of Experimental Economics (ASFEE), June 9-10, 2016, ESSEC Business School in Cergy-Pontoise, France.
- Sarkar, S (2015) "Can Continuous Product Upgrading Deter Entry?" Proceedings of the Forum on Industrial Organization and Marketing at Lisbon, Portugal, Jun 29-30, 2015
- Vijayaraghavan, TAS. Sarkar, S. and Mitra, A (2013) "A Game Theoretic Approach for Exploring Feasibility of Buyer-Supplier Co-operation". Proceedings of the International Conference on Business Management & Information Systems, 2013, Institute of Management Technology, Dubai, Nov 19-21, 2013 (ISBN: 978-93-82951-41-4) ( ISSN: ISSN 2164-263X)
- Sarkar, S (2005) R&D Expenditure and Entry Deterrence in Presence of Network Externality. Proceedings of the 10th EURAS (European Association of Standardisation) Conference at Tallinn, Estonia, June 02 03, 2005.
- 2019. Economic Science Association (ESA) World Meeting, Vancouver, Canada, July 4-7, 2019. Paper title: Altruistic Choice under Incomplete Information About the Others Preference and Expectation.
- 2019. Conference on Economic Theory and Policy, at the Department of Economics, Ambedkar University Delhi (AUD), March 29-30, 2019. Paper title:Non-contractible Quality in Absence of Reputation Effect.
- 2017. MathSport International Conference, at the Department of Mathematics, University of Padua, Italy, June 25-28, 2017. Paper title: Paradox of Crosses - A Game-Theoretic Explanation.
- 2016. 28th European Conference on Operational Research, EURO 2016, in Poznan University of Technology, Poznan, Poland, July 3-6, 2016. (Attended by co-author S. Chakraborty) Paper title: Determinants of Non-penalty Goals Scored per Game by Football Teams in Europe`s Elite Leagues.
- 2016. 7th International Conference
of the French Association of Experimental Economics (ASFEE), ESSEC
Business School in Cergy-Pontoise, France, June 9-10, 2016. Paper title: Does
Rawls` `Original Position` Induce Fairness? Experimental Findings on
Selection Criteria in a Discrete Nash Demand Game Played from Behind the
`Veil of Ignorance`
- 2015. Forum on Industrial Organization and Marketing at Lisbon, Portugal, June 29-30, 2015. Paper title: Can Continuous Product Upgrading Deter Entry?
- 2004 Annual Conference on Methods and Modelling in Economics, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, 15 - 17 January 2004. Paper title: Patent Licensing by a Standard Auction in Presence of Network Externality
- 2001. Winter School in Quantitative Economics, IIM Calcutta, Calcutta, January 2001. Paper title: Choice of Product Quality and Technological Platform in Presence of Network Externality.
Jharkhand Economic Survey 2010-11, Dept. of Finance,Govt. of Jharkhand Mar, 2011
- Sarkar, S. and Chakraborty, S. (2016) `Does Rawls` `Original Position` Induce Fairness? Experimental Findings on Selection Criteria in a Discrete Nash Demand Game Played from Behind the `Veil of Ignorance``, WP No. : (XLWP160402) , March 2016
Cases developed for Teaching purpose
Chairperson/Co-Chairperson in conferences
- Forum on Industrial Organization and Marketing held as part of LCBR European Marketing Conference, on 30th June 2015. The conference was held in Lisbon,Portugal.
Contribution towards Institution building/ development/ services such as Chairperson (Placement) etc
Guide/evaluator/ examiner at doctoral research level
- Examiner of M.Phil thesis for the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai
Membership of Professional Bodies
Member of Economic Science Association (ESA)
Reviewer/Referee in Journals/ Conferences etc
Research Project Undertaken
Jharkhand Economic Survey 2010-11