Dr Sanjeev Varshney
Qualification : MBA, FPM (MDI, Gurgaon)
Email : email@example.com
Functional Area : Marketing
1. Working as Professor of Marketing at XLRI Jamshedpur since February 2019
2. Worked as Associate Professor of Marketing at XLRI Jamshedpur since January 2011 till date
a. Also working as Area Chairperson since June 2011
b. Chief Coordinator of Behavioral Research lab at XLRI Jamshedpur
3. Worked as Assistant Professor of Marketing at XLRI Jamshedpur from July 10th 2007 till December 31st 2010
a. Has taught core and specialized courses in various programs of XLRI in India as well as Singapore and Dubai Campuses. Courses taught:
i. Marketing Management
ii. Consumer Behavior
iii. Sales & Distribution Management
iv. Retail Management
v. Customer Relationship Management
vi. (Average Feedback for all the courses is above 5.5)
b. Has taught Doctoral level courses since 2009. Courses taught
i. Advances in Consumer Behaviour
ii. Pedagogy for Management Teachers
c. Has been teaching Sales & Distribution Management to PGP students of IIM Calcutta, since 2012.
d. Has taught Sales & Distribution Management for Agri-Business at MANAGE Hyderabad & NIAM Jaipur in past.
3.Sales Excel Pvt. Ltd. Gurgaon: Principal Consultant, November 2006-June 2007. In the capacity has carried out research and consultancy projects for many companies and have developed teaching cases and training programs for companies like Nokia, Britannia Industries ltd., Cargill Foods, Tata Sky, Airtel etc.
In capacity also carried out many Process Review exercises for different companies and has developed Sales Operations Manual for two companies.
4.Omkarananda Institute of Management & Technology, Rishikesh: Lecturer, March 2000 - June 2003
5. Thermax Culligan Water Technologies Ltd: Business Development Executive, March 1998 - June 1999.
6. Blue Dart Express Ltd.: Sales Executive, August 1997- February 1998.
Dr Sanjeev Varshney
Achievements and Research Interest/Area of Research Interests
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
1. Conceptualized and established Behavioral Research lab at XLRI Jamshedpur. The lab is operational since September 2011. It is first of its kind lab in India and is equipped to carry out research in the field of management using principles and knowledge from cognitive psychology and cognitive neurology. ??Has undertaken many research projects in past including:
a. Product placements in Video Games
b. Experimental research on customer service and attrition in BPO sector
c. Study on Rash Driving behaviour by Teenagers
d. Study on Willingness to Save and Transact among Low Income Class Population
e. Study on effectiveness of online services provided by government
f. Some of these projects were company sponsored and some independent research projects sponsored by XLRI.
2. Won Best paper award for paper titled Shopping During End of the Season Sale: Impact of Market Related Factors presented at 3rd International Conference of Management and Finance 2008, organsied by Department of Management Studies, University of Colombo from 10th-11th of December 2008.
3. Won Best paper award for paper titled Study of Outshopping Behaviour in India using Structure Equation Modeling presented at COSMAR 2006 organised by Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore from 21st - 23rd of September 2006.
1. As Area Chairperson since last 5 years have been responsible for hiring new faculty members (added 4 in the area), managing programs successfully, allocation of courses and workload, driving research and international collaboration both for Marketing Scholars and Faculty members. In the capacity have also been responsible for promoting Marketing area activities and building opportunities for students through various activities.
2. Member of Faculty Advisory Committee to plan XLRIs Strategy and Financial plan for coming 5 years
3. Member of Assured Learning Committee formed to work for AACSB certification for XLRI.
4. Member of MDP & In- Company training committee for XLRI and as part of the same has developed strategy for marketing of MDP and In-company programs
5. In past has been member of :
Faculty Advisory Committee for Placement from 2009-2012
Admissions Committee from 2010-2012
Diamond Jubilee Celebration Committee of XLRI
Vision, Mission review committee and was made responsible for developing an implementation plan for the same.
Course Curriculum Review Committee for flagship program (BM) of XLRI
Course Curriculum Review Committee for one year General Management Program (GMP) of XLRI
Area of RESEARCH INTERESTS
1.Utilized Statistical Programs viz.SPSS, AMOS and Answer Tree extensively.
2.Used Quantitative (survey) and Qualitative (Ethnography, Interview, Focus Group, Observation and Case study) method for data collection and data analysis (Content analysis, Structure Equation Modelling, Clustering, Multiple Regression, ANOVA etc.).
Faculty Development Programs Attended
1. Attended 3 day workshop on Case Teaching & Development at XLRI Jamshedpur. Conducted by AIM Manila
2. Attended 6 day workshop on Appreciative Inquiry at XLRI Jamshedpur. Conducted by Case Western reserve University, USA.
1. Indian Postal Services (Jharkhand Circle), Department of Post, India
2. Britannia Industries Ltd.
3. Ashok Leyland
4. SSI of East Singhbhum Chambers of Industries
5. Tech Mahindra
6. National Statistical Services
7. Bihar Tax Officers
8. AkzoNobel (Modern Retailing)
9. Tata Steel??
10. Tata Motors (Dealers service Management Programme)
13. Madura Fashion & LifeStyle (A 25 day Training module on Retailing)
14. Viacom (Marketing Metrics)
15. Ultratech Cement
17. Pepsico India
18. Nagarjuna Fertilisers
19. Canara Bank
20. SBI Mutual Fund
23. Mashreq Bank Dubai
24. BMR Advisors
26. Power Grid
27. Tech Mahindra
29. Popular Motors
30. RatnaSagar Publishers
INTELLECTUAL CONTRIBUTIONS (PUBLICATIONS)
1.Pathak, A. & Varshney, S. (2016), Challenges Faced By Women Entrepreneurs in Rural India: The Case of Avika, The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation (accepted for publication)
2.Pathak, A. & Varshney, S. (2015), Treks `N Rapids: Adventure Sports Tourism in India", Ivey Publishing, (Product Number: 9B15M103)
3.Varshney, S. et.al. (2015), Demographic Profile of Internet-Using Population of India, Management and Labour Studies, Vol. 39(4), September
4.Angshuman, G., Venugopal, P. & Varshney, S. (2014), Social Media WOM: Definition, Consequences and Inter-relationships, Management and Labour Studies, Vol.39 (3), August, pg. 293-308
5.Angshuman, G. & Varshney, S. (2013), Luxury Goods Consumption: A Conceptual Framework Based on Literature Review, " South Asian Journal of Management, Vol 20.2 April-June 2013
6.Sriram, D. & Varshney, S. (2012), "A Multistage Behavioural and Temporal Analysis of CPV in RM," Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 27, (5), pg 403-411
7.Kumar Payal & Varshney, S. (2011), Gendered Scholarship: Exploring the Implications for Consumer Behaviour Research, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, Vol. 31 Iss: 7, pp.612
8.Varshney, S. & Goyal A. (2006), A Review and Extension of the Outshopping Paradigm to Indian Context, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing & Logistics, Vol. 17(4), pg: 30-62
9.Varshney, S. and Goyal, A., (2006), Outshopping Behaviour: A Small Town Perspective (India), South Asian Journal of Management, Vol. 13(2), pg: 66-86
1.Varshney S., Ghosh, A & Aggarwal P., (2011), Joy of Giving: Marketing for a Cause FIIB Business Review
2.Varshney S., & Sahay A. (2006), Indian Courier Industry: The Leaders Dilemma, Journal of Services Research, Vol. 6(2), 219-245
3.Varshney, S. & Sahay, A. (2004), Sustainability Management: The Turnaround of Air Quality in Delhi, Vision, Vol. 8(1)
4.Varshney, S. & Chauhan, S.K., (2004), Environmental Consciousness among the Employees of Environmentally Sensitive Projects: A Case Study, Man & Development, Vol. XXVI, No. 3.
Papers Under Review & Publication:
1.Case titled Neev Herbal Soaps: Marketing Orientation for a Social Enterprise has been submitted for publication to Asian Case Research Journal and is currently under second review process
2.Shopping During End of the Season Sale: Impact of Market Related Factors has been submitted for review to South Asian Journal of Management
1. Book titled Outshopping Behaviour: Antecedents, Inter-relationships & Classification has been published by LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing AG & Co. KG, Germany.
2. Book titled Management Cases on Product Development by DRDO is in final stages of publication.
1.Varshney Sanjeev, Venugopal, Pinagli & Ghosh, Angshuman, (2014), Social Media Word-of-Mouth & Consumer Decision Making: A Review and Research Propositions, presented in ANZCA 2014 Conference titled held at Swinburne Universitys Hawthorn campus at Melbourne from 9-11 July 2014
2.Varshney Sanjeev, (2010), Review of Consumer Behavior Research, presented in 4th International Conference NASMEI, held at Great Lakes Institute Chennai from 23rd -24th December 2010
3.Dorai Sriram & Varshney Sanjeev (2009), Customer Perceived Value in Relationship Marketing: A Multi Stage Behavioral and Temporal Analysis, presented in 9th International Conference on Relationship Marketing, held at Berlin from September 30 to October 2, 2009
4.Ghosh Angshuman, Aggarwal Puneet & Varshney Sanjeev (2009), Joy of Giving: Marketing for a Cause, Case presented in First International Congress on Teaching Cases Related to Public and NonProfit Marketing, held at Madrid Spain from 1st-3rd Dec 2009
5.Ghosh Angshuman & Varshney Sanjeev (2009), A Review and a Conceptual Framework of Luxury Consumer Behavior, paper presented in 3rd International Conference NASMEI, held at Great Lakes Institute Chennai from 18-19 December 2009
6.Varhsney Sanjeev & Singhal Manish (2008), Shopping During End of the Season Sale: Impact of Market Related Factors Paper presented at 3rd International Conference of Management and Finance 2008, organsied by Department of Management Studies, University of Colombo in Colombo from 10th-11th of December 2008. Same has also been published in conference Proceedings
7.Brand Awareness and Preferences in Rural Markets, Paper presented in the Conference Marketing to Rural Consumers Understanding and Tapping the Rural Market Potential, held at IIM Kozhikode from 3-5April, 2008( Co-authored with Prof. Sanjay Patro). Same has also been published in Conference Proceedings
8.Study of Outshopping Behaviour in India using Structure Equation Modeling, presented in 6th Annual Consortium of Management Research: An International Conference, 21st -23rd of September, 2006 at IISc Bangalore
9.Sustainability Reporting by Indian Corporate: An Analysis of Initial steps, presented in 11th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference, Helsinki, Finland, 6-9th of June 2005 (Co-authored with Prof. A. Sahay)
10.Adventure Sports Industry of India and its Value Network, presented in International Conference of Services Management, New Delhi, 11th-12th of March, 2005 (Co-authored with Dr. Anita Goyal)
11.Sustainability Reporting in India: An Analysis of Initial steps by Indian Corporate, presented in Strategic Management Forum 8th Annual Convention 9-11th May 2005(Co-authored with Prof. A. Sahay)
12.Converting Competencies into Competitive Advantage: A Case Study of Innovation and Corporate Sustenance in the Indian Courier Industry, presented in Strategic Management Forums 7th Annual Convention & International Conference on Strategic Management of Innovation: Perspectives from Developing Countries 13-15th May 2004 (Co-authored with Anjan Roy)
1.Project titled Perception of online services provided by government of India has just started and first phase of data collection is over during MAXI fair. The process is on for Laboratory phase
2.Project titled Saving Habits of Urban Poor has just concluded and paper writing is in progress
3.Project titled An Experimental Research on Tipping point for attrition in BPO sector has concluded and the report has been submitted. The project was sponsored by WIPRO BPO
4.Project titled An Experimental Research on Rash Driving Behaviour among teengaers & Youth has concluded. The project has been undertaken in association with Police department of Jharkhand
5.Project titled Management Cases on Select products developed and launched by DRDO has concluded and the monograph has been submitted to DRDO. The project has been approved with complete research grant from DRDO
6.Project titled Sustainable & Equitable Growth: Redefining Rural Markets has been finished with research grant from Centre and Global Management & Responsible Leadership, XLRI
7.Project titled Neev Herbal Soaps: Marketing Plan for Success is under progress. A case written after finalization has been submitted to Asian Case Research Journal for publication. This project has been carried out with data and financial support from NEEV Foundation
8.Case titled "Blue Dart Express Ltd: Leaders Journey" was completed as a part of 25th year celebration of Blue Dart Express Ltd. in 2008 with research grant from Blue Dart Express Ltd
9.Project titled "Managing Surrenders through Positive Police Campaigns: Case of Andhra Pradesh Naxalite Movement" has been completed with research support from XLRI. This case has been co-authored with Mr. Jitender Kumar (IPS- Andhra Cadre)
Work in Progress:
1.Currently work for setting up a Centre for Sports Management is under progress. Collaborations with two International universities have already been finalized to jointly offer certificate program in Sports management in India. Simultaneously work is on for establishing Indian partnerships with sports authorities and sports companies
Other Professional Activities
Co-ordinating/Organizing Workshop/Conferences /MDPs
1. Selling Skills
2. Selling approaches & Selling Styles
3. Customer relationship management
4. Customer satisfaction and its measurement
5. Marketing Metrics
6. Managing sales promotions
7. Territory Management
8. Marketing for SSI
10.Modern Retail Management
11.Managing Customer experience
Guide/evaluator/ examiner at doctoral research level
1. Has been Chairperson of Thesis Advisory committee for one FPM student.
2. Has been member of TAC for two EFPM student
1. Chairperson of TAC for a FPM student
2. Chairperson of TAC for an EFPM student
3. Member of TAC for an EFPM student
Has guided 10 students for Doctoral Seminar Papers (Research Papers) in past and currently 3 are WIP.
Has guided 15 master level dissertations for BM students
Has guided number of dissertations in satellite certificate program