Dr Apalak Khatua
Qualification : B. Arch. - IIEST Shibpur (formerly B.E. College, Shibpur), FPM - IIM Calcutta
Email : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Functional Area : Strategic Management
Languages Known : English, Bengali, Hindi
- XLRI Jamshedpur, Strategy Area
- IIM Tiruchirappalli, Strategy Area
Dr Apalak Khatua
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
- He was the recipient of SAMS/JMS Sponsorship for attending Journal of Management Studies Conference (2011),
- Recipient of EGOS Sponsorship (2011) for attending the annual conference,
- Selected for AIB Doctoral Travel Stipend by Seth Foundation Grant (2011),
- Recipient of the SAMS Scholarship for attending the Doctoral Workshop and SMS Conference (2010).
- One of his dissertation papers was the winner of Pradip N. Khandwalla Award for best paper in IIMB Management Review Doctoral Conference (IMRDC - 2010) conducted by IIM Bangalore.
Area of RESEARCH INTERESTS
Apalak`s research interests include strategic issues confronting developing economy firms and how they are adapting during institutional transitions. His doctoral dissertation explored which types of business groups in India sustained their growth as economic reforms take hold and how. His research interests mainly revolve around business group affiliated firms in Indian context. Nowadays he is also interested in applying machine learning and deep learning techniques on user generated data, such as social media platform like Twitter, for investigating various socio-economic phenomena. His papers have been accepted in conferences like Academy of Management (AOM), Strategic Management Society (SMS), Academy of International Business (AIB), European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS), Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM), IEEE International Conference on Data Mining Workshops (ICDMW), Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) and so on. Apalak also served as a reviewer for conferences like Strategic Management Society (2010 onward), Academy of Management (2009 onward), Academy of International Business (2009 onward), IIMA Doctoral Colloquium 2013, IIMB Management Review Doctoral Conference 2011 etc. Apalak also served as a session chair in Strategic Management Society Annual Conference (2010) and Academy of Management Annual Conference (2012).
- Strategic Management (Core) [1.5/3 credits], BM, HRM, GMP, PGCBM @ XLRI Jamshedpur.
- International Management (Elective) [1.5/3 credits], BM, HRM, GMP, EXEC-PGP, PGCBM, @ XLRI Jamshedpur.
- Managing Innovation (Elective) [2 credits], GMP @ XLRI Jamshedpur.
- Technopreneurship (Elective) [1.5 credits], EDC @ XLRI Jamshedpur.
- Advanced Corporate Strategy (Elective) [1.5/3 credits], PGP @ IIM Tiruchirappalli.
- Aparup Khatua, Apalak Khatua & Erik Cambria (2020) Predicting political sentiments of voters from Twitter in multi-party contexts. Applied Soft Computing, 106743. DOI: 10.1016/j.asoc.2020.106743
- Aparup Khatua, Apalak Khatua & Erik Cambria (2019) A tale of two epidemics: Contextual Word2Vec for classifying twitter streams during outbreaks, Information Processing and Management, 56(1) 247-257. DOI: 10.1016/j.ipm.2018.10.010
- Apalak Khatua (2017) Does business group affiliation matter for external debt finance? Evidence from India, Asian Business & Management, 16(4): 290-322. DOI: 10.1057/s41291-017-0021-7
- Manpreet Kaur, Apalak Khatua & Surendra S. Yadav (2016) Infrastructure Development and FDI Inflow to Developing Economies: Evidence from India, Thunderbird International Business Review, 58(6) 555 - 563. DOI: 10.1002/tie.21784
- Aparup Khatua & Apalak Khatua (2015) How Stock Market Reacts to Budget Announcement? Through the Lens of Social Media in Indian context, Management and Labour Studies, 40(3-4), 239-251
Published Research Monographs
Chapters in Scholarly books
- Biswatosh Saha & Apalak Khatua (2015) Financial Intermediaries and Financial access to Corporate Sector, in `India Science and Technology - Vol 3, CSIR-NISTADS (National Institute of Science and Technology & Development Studies).
- Biswatosh Saha & Apalak Khatua (2015) Financial Intermediation and Corporate Sector: A focus on FIIs in recent years, in `India Science and Technology - Vol 3, CSIR-NISTADS (National Institute of Science and Technology & Development Studies).
- Apalak Khatua (2009) Technology and Organizational Studies: Past, Present and Future,Decision Sciences in Global Enterprise Management, Karuna Jain and Rahul Patil (Eds.), Macmillan Publishers India, Advance Research Series (ISBN: 9780230637252)(paper taken from ISDSI 2009 Conference)
- Aparup Khatua, Erik Cambria, Kuntal Ghosh, Nabendu Chaki & Apalak Khatua (2019) Tweeting in Support of LGBT? A Deep Learning Approach, In YRS of ACM India Joint International Conference on Data Science and Management of Data (CoDS-COMAD) 2019, Kolkata, India
- Roshni Chakraborty, Abhijeet Kharat, Apalak Khatua, Sourav Dandapat, & Joydeep Chandra (2018) Predicting Tomorrow`s Headline using Today`s Twitter Deliberations, In 6th International Workshop on News Recommendation and Analytics (INRA 2018), CIKM Workshop, Turin, Italy
- Aparup Khatua, Erik Cambria, & Apalak Khatua (2018) Sounds of Silence Breakers: Exploring Sexual Violence on Twitter. In ACM/IEEE Proceedings of ASONAM (Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining) 2018, Barcelona, Spain
- Aparup Khatua, Erik Cambria, Apalak Khatua, & Iti Chaturvedi (2017) Let`s Chat about Brexit! A Politically-Sensitive Dialog System based on Twitter Data. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Data Mining Workshops (ICDMW `17), New Orleans, USA.
- Apalak Khatua & Aparup Khatua (2017) Cricket World Cup 2015: Predicting User`s orientation through Mix Tweets on Twitter Platform. International Symposium on Foundations and Applications of Big Data Analytics (FAB 2017), In ACM/IEEE Proceedings of ASONAM (Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining) 2017, Sydney, Australia.
- Apalak Khatua & Aparup Khatua (2016) Leave or Remain? Deciphering Brexit Deliberations on Twitter. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Data Mining Workshops (ICDMW `16), Data Mining in Politics (DMiP) Workshop, Barcelona, Spain.
- Aparup Khatua & Apalak Khatua (2016) Immediate and Long-term Effects of 2016 Zika Outbreak: A Twitter-based Study. In Proceedings of IEEE Healthcom 2016 Conference, Munich, Germany.
- Aparup Khatua, Apalak Khatua, Kuntal Ghosh & Nabendu Chaki (2015) Can #Twitter_Trends Predict Election Results Evidence from 2014 Indian General Election. In IEEE Proceedings of the 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2015), Hawaii, USA.
- Indrajit Mukherjee & Apalak Khatua (2019) Foreign or Domestic? Growth Strategy of Business Group Affiliates from Emerging Economies, Strategic Management Society (SMS) Annual Conference, Minneapolis, USA, October 19-22.
- Supriya Kumar De, Rajeev Ranjan Kumar & Apalak Khatua (2019) What triggers electric vehicle adoption? A cross-country study, European Conference on Operational Research, Dublin, Ireland, June 23-26
- Apalak Khatua & Kaushik Roy (2018) Effects of Industry Characteristics and Business Group Affiliation on Firms` Innovation Orientation: Evidence from India, Academy of Internation Business (AIB) 2018 Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, USA, June 25-28
- Apalak Khatua & Kaushik Roy (2017) Effects of Industry Characteristics and Business Group Affiliation on Firms` Export Behaviour: Evidence from India, Academy of Internation Business (AIB) 2017 Annual Meeting, Dubai, UAE, July 2-5
- Biswatosh Saha & Apalak Khatua (2013) Effects of Foreign Investments on Indian Corporate Sector, India Science & Technology Conference, conducted by NISTADS, New Delhi, India, March 20-21
- Apalak Khatua (2013) Effects of Business Group Affiliation on Capital Structure during Economic Reforms: Evidence from India, SMS Special Conference, Mohali, India, Dec 17-19
- Apalak Khatua & Indrajit Mukherjee (2013) Business Group Diversification Revisited: Strategy, Structure, and Institutions, Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, USA, 9 - 13 August (Not Attended)
- Indrajit Mukherjee & Apalak Khatua (2013) Internal Capital Markets and Efficient Resource Allocation: Evidence from Indian Business Groups, EURAM Annual Conference in Istanbul, Turkey, 26 29 June
- Indrajit Mukherjee & Apalak Khatua (2013) Bright Side of Internal Capital Market: Value Creation by Business Groups, SMS Special Conference, Glasgow, UK, 20-22 June
- Apalak Khatua (2012) An Epitaph for Crony Capitalism? Business group affiliation, Capital structure and Liberalization, Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 3-7 August
- Apalak Khatua (2011) Business Group Heterogeneity in Value-Creating Potentials during Institutional Transitions in Emerging Economies, 27th European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, Gothenburg, Sweden, 7-9 July
- Apalak Khatua (2011) Why Goliath Always Wins? Effect of Business Group Size on Value-Creating Potentials during Institutional Transitions in Emerging Economies, Journal of Management Studies (JMS) Conference, Hong Kong, 22-23 October
- Apalak Khatua & Amit Jyoti Sen (2011) Agency Problems of Asset-Embodied-Agents: Evidence from Recurring Financial Crises, 13th Conference of the Association for Heterodox Economics (AHE), Nottingham Trent University, UK, 6-9 July
- Apalak Khatua (2011) Business Group Diversification during Institutional Transitions: Discount or Premium?, Strategic Management Society (SMS) Research Workshop in Emerging India: Strategy, Innovation And Sustainability, IIM Calcutta, India, 26-28 February
- Indrajit Mukherjee & Apalak Khatua (2010) Effect of Institutional Legacy on Ownership-Performance Linkages, Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada, 6-10 August
- Apalak Khatua & Amit Jyoti Sen (2010) Trsaction Frequency, Institutional Context and the Agent-Steward Continuum, 12th Conference of the Association for Heterodox Economics (AHE) , University Montesquieu Bordeaux IV, France, 7-10 July
- Apalak Khatua & Sushil Khanna (2010) Too Big to Fail: Emerging Economy Business Groups during Institutional Transitions, 30th Strategic Management Society (SMS) Annual Conference, Rome, Italy, 12-15 September
- Apalak Khatua (2010) Does the PremiumBusiness Group Affiliation Erode during Liberalizations? Yes and No, Strategic Management Sciety (SMS) Research Workshop in Strategic Entrepreneurship, IIM Bangalore, India, 10-12 December
- Apalak Khatua (2010) A Multilevel Approach to Bus ng Institutional Tansitions in Emerging Market Economies, IIMB Management Review Doctoral Conference (IMRDC), IIM Bangalore, India, 19-20 November
- Apalak Khatua (2009) Technology and Organizational Studies: Past, Present and uture, Indian Subcontinent Decision Sciences Institute Region (ISDSI) 2009 Conference, SJMSOM, IIT Bombay, India, 3-5 January
- Indrajit Mukherjee & Apalak Khatua (2009) Does History Matter in Corporate Governance? Influence of Owner`s Legacy on Firm Performance, 29th Strategic Management Society (SMS) Annual Conference, Washington DC, USA, 11-14 October
- Amit Jyoti Sen & Apalak Khatua (2009) X-inefficiency: Inside the Interorganizational Network, 11th Conference of the Association for Heterodox Economics (AHE), Kingston University, London, 9-12 July
- Apalak Khatua, Sushil Khanna & Pradyot K Sen (2009) Corporate Control, Reputation and Governance in Business Groups: Evidence from India, 29th Strategic Management Society (SMS) Annual Conference, Washington DC, USA, 11-14 October
- Apalak Khatua (2008) Organizational Culture and Economic Performance: A Resource Based View, The 8th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organisations 2008, Cambridge University, United Kingdom, 5-8 August; Published in International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, 8(9):77-84
Key note presentation
Published articles in newspapers/magazines
Cases developed for Teaching purpose
Membership of Professional Bodies
Academy of Management (AOM), Strategic Management Society (SMS), Academy of International Business (AIB), & IEEE Membership
Reviewer/Referee in Journals/ Conferences etc
Ad Hoc reviewer of: Journal of Management Studies, California Management Review, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, Management Decision, Asian Business & Management, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies and others. Also a reviewer of SMS Conference, AIB Conference & AOM Conference.