Prof. Kalyan Bhaskar
Qualification : Fellow (IIM Ahmedabad); B.Tech (Electrical Engineering), NIT Bhopal
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Functional Area : Strategic Management
Languages Known : English, Hindi, Maithili
Hobbies : I blog at www.bhaskarkalyan.blogspot.com
Kalyan is a faculty in the Strategic Management Area at XLRI. He was earlier a faculty in the Business Sustainability Area at IIM Lucknow. He has worked on environment and sustainability projects for UNEP, IFC, and various ministries of the Indian government. He has also been associated with GIZ-Nokia project on sustainable consumption and electronic waste management using informal sector in India.
Total Experience (in months)
94 months (as on 15-MAY-21)
Prof. Kalyan Bhaskar
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
1. One of six researchers chosen from India and the EU for finals of 2016 Inno-Indigo Young Scientist Award, 2016.
1. Received Wipro Best Paper Award (category: faculty) at Wipro XUB Sustainability Summit, Xavier University, Bhubaneswar, India, 2016.
2. Wipro Earthian Recognition for Faculty guiding the winning Team, 2016.
3. One of 5 finalists in Best B School Project Awards 2014 organized by Business Standard, India`s leading business newspaper, 2014.
4. One of 100 students selected worldwide through an essay competition for the St. Gallen Wings of Excellence Award at the 42nd St Gallen Symposium at the University of St. Gallen (Switzerland), 2012.
5. Winner of Inter College Business Plan Competition 2007 at University of Technology, RGPV, Bhopal, India, 2007.
6. Won 2nd, 3rd, and 3rd prizes respectively in three consecutive years in MBD Talent Hunt Competition at District Level (Bhopal, India), 1998-2000.
Area of RESEARCH INTERESTS
Electronic Waste Management, Extended Producer Responsibility, Bioenergy, Electric Vehicles, Corporate Sustainability
1) Member, Committe for Circular Economy in Electronic Waste, Ministry of Electronics Information and Technology (MeITY), Government of India. March 2021- onward
This committee is one of 11 committees set up by the Niti Aayog and the key responsibility of the committee is to prepare a comprehensive action plan for transitioning from a linear economy to circular economy.
 Jain, S., Singhal, S., Jain, N.K., & Bhaskar, K. (in press). Construction and demolition waste recycling: Investigating the role of theory of planned behaviour, institutional pressures, and environmental consciousness. Journal of Cleaner Poduction. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121405
 Kumar, R.R., Chakraborty, A. & Bhaskar, K. (in press). A game theoretic approach for electric vehicle adoption and policy decisions under different market structures. Journal of the Operational Research Society. DOI 10.1080/01605682.2019.1678407
 Bhaskar, K. (2019) E-waste Management and Businesses in India: What lies ahead? Vikalpa, 44(3), pp. 154-157. DOI 10.1177/0256090919880655
 Bhaskar, K. & Kumar, B. (2018). Electronic Waste Management and Sustainable Development Goals: Is there a Business Case for Linking the Two? Journal of Indian Business Research, 11(2), pp. 120-137. DOI 10.1108/JIBR-01-2018-0051
 Bhaskar, K. & Jain, N.K. (2018). Conceptualizing a Resilient Supply Chain for Single-fuel Biomass Power Plant. Journal of Operations and Strategic Planning. 1(1) DOI 10.1177/2516600X18769121
 Bhaskar, K. & Turaga, R.M. (2018) India`s E-waste rules and their impact on India`s e-waste practices: A case study. Journal of Industrial Ecology,22(4), pp. 930-942. DOI 10.1111/jiec.12619
 Kumar, B, and Bhaskar, K. (2016). Electronic Waste and Sustainability: Reflections on a Rising Global Challenge. Markets, Globalization & Development Review, Vol. 1: No. 1, Article 5. DOI 10.23860/MGDR-2016-01-01-05
 Bhaskar, K. (2015). Changes in Electronic Waste Management: From E-waste (Management & Handling) Rules 2011 to Draft E-Waste Management Rules 2015. Economic & Political Weekly, Vol L, 40, October 3.
Published Research Monographs
Chapters in Scholarly books
 Bhaskar, K, and Kumar, B. (2016). Electronic Waste Management and Extended Producer Responsibility in India: A Macromarketing Perspective. In Campbell, N., Claudy, M., and O`Driscoll, A. (Eds), Proceedings of the 41st Annual Macromarketing Conference 2016 (pp.825-841). ISSN 2168-1461.
 Bhaskar, K. & Shukla, PR. (2014). Long Term Future for Bioenergy in India: An Assessment of Co-benefits. In Hoffmann, C., Baxter, D., Maniatis, K., Grassi, A., & Helm, P. (Eds), Proceedings of the 22nd European Biomass Conference 2014 (pp. 1468-1474). ISBN 978-88-89407-52-3. ISSN 2282-5819.
 Bhaskar, K. & Shukla PR. (2014). Long Term Scenarios for Bioenergy in India. IEEE Xplore. ISBN 978-1-4799-2627-5.
 Chokshi, P., Shukla, PR., Pathak, M., & Bhaskar, K. (2014). Green Energy and Sustainable Urban Transport Transition: A Co-benefits Assessment for Ahmedabad, India. IEEE Xplore. ISBN 978-1-4799-2627-5.
 Shukla, PR., Dhar, S., & Bhaskar, K. (2014). Electric Vehicle Scenarios for India: Implications for Development and Mitigation. In Jooste, M., Tyler, E., Coetzee, K., Boyd, A., & Boulle, M. (Eds.), Proceedings of the Forum on Development and Mitigation, Cape Town 2014 (pp. 39-50). Cape Town: Energy Research Centre, University of Cape Town. ISBN 978-0-620-59693-0.
 Partnering with Informal Sector Organizations in Developing Countries: New Challenges and Opportunities Presented at the Academy of Management (AOM) Specialized Conference 2019: Responsible Leadership in Rising Economies, IEDC School of Management, Bled (Slovenia), in October 2019 [with Jennifer Griffin and Verena Radulovic
 Electronic Waste Management and Sustainable Development Goals: Is there a Business Case for Linking the two? Presented at the 1st International Conference on Sustainability and Business at IIM Calcutta, Kolkata in January 2018 [with Bipul Kumar]
 EPR and Policy Instruments for e-waste management: A review and lessons for India`s new e-waste regulations. Presented at the 16th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium. S Margherita di Pula, Italy in October 2017 [with RM Turaga]
 Electronic Waste Management and Extended Producer Responsibility in India: A Macromarketing Perspective. Presented at the 41st Annual Macromarketing Conference. Trinity College Dublin in July 2016 [with Bipul Kumar]
 Policy Instruments for Electronic Waste Management: A Review and Lessons for Indias E-Waste Rules. Presented at 8th Indian Society for Ecological Economics (INSEE) Conference, IISc Bangalore in Jan 2016 [with RM Turaga]
 Extended Producer Responsibility as an Instrument for Electronic Waste Management: A Critical Analysis of E-waste Rules in India. Albuquerque. 2014 APPAM Fall Research Conference. New Mexico in Nov 2014 [with RM Turaga]
 Electric Power Technology Competition in Low Carbon Scenarios: A Modelling Assessment for India. Presented at the 4th IAEE Asian Conference/span>. Beijing in Sept 2014 Mittal & PR Shukla]
 Long Term Future for Bioenergy in India: An Assessment of co-benefits. Presented at the 22nd European Biomass Conference & Exhibition (EUBCE). Hamburg in June 2014 [with PR Shukla]
 Sustainable Low Carbon Urban Mobility Scenarios for India: A co-benefit Assessment of Electric Vehicle. [Poster] Presented at the 37th IAEE International Conference. New York in June 2014 [with P Chokshi & PR Shukla]
 Modelling Solar and Bioenergy Dynamics in Low Carbon Scenarios in India. Presented at the 33rd International Energy Workshop (IEW). Beijing in June 2014 [with PR Shukla & S Mittal]
 Long Term Scenarios for Bioenergy in India. Presented at the International Conference and Utility Exhibition on Green Energy for Sustainable Development (ICUE 2014). Pattaya in Mar 2014[with PR Shukla]
 Green Energy and Sustainable Urban Transport Transition: A co-benefits Assessment for Ahmedabad, India. Presented at the International Conference and Utility Exhibition on Green Energy for Sustainable Development (ICUE 2014 Pattaya in Mar 2014[with P Chokshi, PR Shukla, & M Pathak]
 Electric Vehicle Scenarios for India: Implications for Development and Mitigation. Presented at the Development & Mitigation Forum. Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town. Cape Town in Jan 2014. [with PR Shukla & S Dhar]
 Regulatory Issues in Infrastructure: A Case of Captive Power Plants in India. Presented at the 8th Annual International Conference on Public Policy and Management. IIM Bangalore. Aug 2013.
- Shukla, PR, Dhar, S, Pathak, M, & Bhaskar, K. (2014). Electric Vehicle Scenarios and a Roadmap for India. Published as a part of "Promoting Low Carbon Transport in India" project of UNEP Riso Centre (Denmark) and UNEP Transport Centre (Kenya). New Delhi. ISBN 978-87-93130-22-7.
- Garg, A., Shukla P.R., Nag, T., Bhaskar, K. Chauhan, J., Parihar, S., Kankal, B., Sharma, A., & Abraham, J. (2016). Applications of Remote Sensing for Integrated Land use, Water and Energy Management in Rural Areas: Exploring Energy Plantation Opportunities. Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change (MoEFCC), Government of India.
Bhaskar, K. & Turaga, RM. (2015). Extended Producer Responsibility as an Instrument for Electronic Waste Management: A Critical Analysis of E-waste Rules in India. IIM Ahmedabad. Working Paper 2015-01-04. Available at http://vslir.iima.ac.in:8080/jspui/handle/11718/16332
Key note presentation
Published articles in newspapers/magazines
- Managing e-waste: Making cash from electronic trash: Financial Express (dated 11th January 2019). Available at https://www.
financialexpress.com/opinion/ managing-e-waste-making-cash- from-electronic-trash/1440202/
- Electronic Waste and Sustainable Development Goals: What it means for Businesses in India? Business World (dated 15th September 2018). Available at http://www.businessworld.in/
article/Electronic-Waste-and- Sustainable-Development-Goals- What-it-means-for-Businesses- in-India/15-09-2018-160093/
- Managing India`s electronic waste. Mint (dated 18th May 2017). Available at http://www.livemint.com/
Opinion/ hAAWLseZDUfMLCFc58UPiO/ Managing-Indias-electronic- waste.html
- Increase in intolerance or increase in voice? Hindustan Times (dated 27th November 2015).
Cases developed for Teaching purpose
 Aggarwal, D., Bhaskar, K., & E., Varun (2019). Rolling drops: Nilkamal Wello Water Wheel. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 9(2), DOI. 10.1108/EEMCS-06-2018-0122.
Achievements in Professional activities
Chairperson/Co-Chairperson in conferences
Co-ordinating/Organizing Workshop/Conferences /MDPs
1. Organised a workshop on Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy, in collaboration with GIZ New Delhi and Tata Steel at XLRI Jamshedpur. August 2018
Contribution towards Institution building/ development/ services such as Chairperson (Placement) etc
Guide/evaluator/ examiner at doctoral research level
- Member, Thesis Advisory Committee, Rajeev Ranjan Kumar, Thesis topic- Electric Vehicle Development Policies, Stratgies, and Likelihood of Adoption, 2018-21.
- Thesis examiner for a thesis on e-waste reverse supply chain, IIM Bangalore (2018).
Invited to deliver Keynote addresses/ speeches
<span style="```font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%;font-family:" book``"="" antiqua","serif"`="">2. Guest speaker at Incubation Centre, Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT) Bhopal. Feb 2016
<span style="font-size:12.0pt;line-height:115%; font-family:" book="" new="" antiqua","serif";mso-fareast-font-family:"times="" minor-bidi;mso-ansi-language:en-us;mso-fareast-language:en-us;mso-bidi-language:="" mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-bidi-font-family:mangal;mso-bidi-theme-font:="" roman";="" hi"="">3. Invited as an expert for stakeholder discussion on Horizon Technologies for New Energy Policy of India at NITI Aayog, New Delhi. Oct 2015
Membership of Professional Bodies
1. APPAM (Association of Public Policy Analysis and Management)
Participation in Workshops/Conferences/Forums/ Meetings etc
Professional Services such as Member/Editor of Editorial Board/ Advisory Committee etc
1. Member of the Advisory Panel of International Finance Corporation`s India E-waste Project (2017-19)
Reviewer/Referee in Journals/ Conferences etc
1. Visiting Faculty for `Sustainability in Practice` course for 1st Year PGP students at IIM Indore, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19.
Research Project Undertaken