Prof. Kumar Alok
Qualification : Fellow in Management, XLRI, Postgraduate Diploma in Rural Management, XIMB
Email : email@example.com
Functional Area : Organizational Behaviour
Total Experience (in months)
168 (as on 23-NOV-22)
XLRI Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur
Indian Institute of Management Ranchi
Assistant Professor on Contract
Chandragupt Institute of Management Patna
Centurion School of Rural Enterprise Management, Odisha
Azim Premji Foundation, Bangalore
Prof. Kumar Alok
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
- Best Paper Award, 2017 at the International Conference on New Frontiers in Sanskrit and Indic Knowledge held at Chinmaya Vishwa Vidyapeeth, Kerala
- Most Promising Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2012 at the Academy of Management Conference, Boston, USA
- Saurya Pattnaik Award for the Best Paper, 2011 at the National Academy of Psychology Conference held at IRMA
- Best Doctoral Paper Award, 2011 at the Indian Academy of Management Conference held at IIM Bangalore
Area of RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Academic Writing
- Doctoral Seminar on Group Behavior
- Organizational Behavior -II
- Indian Philosophy for Leadership Excellence
- Organization Structure, Design, and Change
- 2022: 4 sessions on taking ownership and accountability, and collaboration for Tata Technologies
- 2022: 2 sessions on influence and persuasion for ITC
- 2022: 2 sessions on situational leadership for JSW
- 2022: 4 sessions on leadership challenge for Mahindra and Mahindra
- 2022: 2 sessions on working with teams for CITIUS
- 2021: 2 sessions on high performance teams for JSW
- 2021: 2 sessions on understanding unconscious bias for IOCL
- 2020: 4 sessions on emotional intelligence and high-performance teams for Leading Teams for Synergy MDP
- 2020: 2 sessions on effective decision-making for Indian Oil
- 2019: Program director for the leadership development program of PowerGrid Corporation
- 2019: Program director for the five in-company programs for Comviva Technologies
- 2019: 5 sessions on decision-making for Novo Nordisk
- 2019: 2 sessions on leading change in Basic Leadership program
- 2019: 2 sessions on high performance teams for PowerGrid Corporation
- 2019: 2 sessions on emotional intelligence for HAL
- 2018: 2 sessions on leadership for Comviva Technologies
- 2018: 2 sessions on leadership for NTPC managers
- 2018: 2 sessions on leadership from wisdom traditions for Leadership Excellence MDP
- 2018: 3-day general management program for Power Grid Corporation
- 2017: 4 sessions on self and leadership for KSCSTE scientists at IIM Kozhikode
- 2017: 2 sessions on self and personality for Indian Institute of Coal Management, Ranchi
- 2016: 1-day management development program for State Rural Livelihoods Mission (Jeevika)
- 2015: 1-day faculty development program on conceptualizing research at Amity Business School, Patna
- 2014: 3-hour workshop on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali at Sri Sri University, Cuttack
- 2013: 1-day training to the engineers of the Building Construction Department, Govt. of Bihar
- 2012: 3-days management development program for Mahila Samakhya, Bihar
- 2012: 12-days DFID-funded Image Transformation Training for Bihar Police
- 2012: 7-days management development program for the DSPs of Bihar Police
- 2012: 9-days management development program for India Posts.
- 2012: 2-days management development program for Kilkari: Bihar Bal Bhawan
- 2011-12: 1-year management development program for State Rural Livelihoods Mission (Jeevika)
- 2011: 45-days management development program for Block Education Officers of Govt. of Bihar in collaboration with Unicef
- 2011: 6-days management development program for the District Education Officers of Govt. of Bihar
- 2011: 4-days Deloitte- supported program for Right to Public Service Act, 2011 for highly placed bureaucrats
- 2011: 7-days management development program for officers from Bihar Administrative Services and Bihar Financial Services
- 2011: 1-day management development program for Power Grid Corporation
- 2010: 1-day management develop program for the top executives of Comfed, Bihar
- 2010: 7-days management development program for the DySPs of Bihar Police
- 2010: 20-days skill development program for Bihar Public Service Commission staff
- 2010: 2-days behavioral training for the Chief Minister Secretariat staff
- 2010: Conducted a government-funded study on the tourism enterprises at Rajagir, Nalanda and Bodhgaya
- 2009: Conducted a Ministry of MSME funded cluster diagnostic study for rice mills, granite and iron ore clusters in the districts of Bolangir and Keojhar, Odisha.
- 2009: Trained UNICEF-Odisha team on self-reflection and group performance
- 2009: Facilitated a one-day symposium on corporate social responsibility with emphasis on rehabilitation andesettlement organized by MCL, a Mini-Ratna company, under the aegis of National Institute of Personnel Management
- 2009: Trained Hindalco managers on corporate social responsibility
- 2008: Conducted leadership training for Mission Shakti, Odisha
- 2008: Facilitated the development of ‘Vision 2020’ for Gajapati district of Odisha
- Alok, K. (2022). Finding human nature coherence in theoretical narratives: A heuristics approach and a leadership application. Human Resource Management Review, 32 (100897), DOI: 10.1016/j.hrmr.2022.100897 [ABDC A-ranked journal]
- Alok, K. (2021). Svabh??vo’dhy??tmam ucyate: Defining human personality through S??khya. Journal of Dharma Studies, DOI: 10.1007/s42240-021-00101-6
- Kumar, R. R. & Alok, K. (2020). Adoption of electrical vehicle: A literature review and prospects for sustainability. Journal of Cleaner Production, 253(119911), DOI: 1016/j.jclepro.2019.119911 [ABDC A-ranked journal]
- Alok, K. (2017). S??ttvika leadership: An Indian model of positive leadership. Journal of Business Ethics, 142(1), 117-138, DOI: 10.1007/s10551-015-2790-2. [Financial Times 50 and BusinessWeek 20 journal]
- Alok, K. (2014). The r??ga bh??va in the S??khya K??rik??: Rectifying an age-old mistake. Asian Philosophy: An International Journal of the Philosophical Traditions of the East, DOI: 10.1080/09552367.2014.917831. [a very prestigious journal in the niche of oriental philosophy]
- Alok, K. (2014). Authentic leadership and psychological ownership: Investigation of interrelations. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 35(4), 266-285. [an ABDC B-ranked journal]
- Alok, K. (2014). The participation-direction debate in leadership: Insights from Ramayana. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 49(4), 701-706. [an ABDC C-ranked journal]
- Alok, K. (2013). Work engagement in India: A factorial validation study of UWES-9 scale. Management and Labour Studies, 38(1-2), 53-62.
- Alok, K. (2012). Organizational learning: Trends in the social construction of a field. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 48(2), 247-258. [an ABDC C-ranked journal]
- Alok, K. (2012). Anchors of education reforms. International Journal of Education Reforms, 21(4), 276-291.
- Alok, K. & Israel, D. (2012). Authentic leadership and work engagement. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 47(3), 498-510. [an ABDC C-ranked journal]
- Alok, K. (2011). Student evaluation of teaching: An instrument and a development process. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 23(2), 226-235.
- Alok, K. (2011). Towards realist constructivism: Implications for teaching and training. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 46(3), 523-535. [an ABDC C-ranked journal]
- Alok, K. (2011). Leadership: The Bhagavad-Gita paradigm. Dharana-Bhavan’s International Journal of Business, 5(1), 25-33.
- Alok, K. (2010). Toward a technology-enhanced pedagogy. International Journal of Arts and Sciences, 3(14), 474-482.
- Alok, K. (2010). Leadership education - The Chak De expereince. International Leadership Journal, 2(3/4),126-133.
- Alok, K. (2009). Ancient Indian education: Applications in modern context. Rajagiri Management Journal, 5(2), 5-28.
- Kumar, M. K. S. & Alok, K. (2006). Harbingering multimedia in Indian rural schools. Digital Learning, 2(4), 33-35.
Published Research Monographs
Chapters in Scholarly books
- Alok, K. (Forthcoming). Indian Psychology for personality studies: Need, challenges, and future directions. (Eds. Ashish P., Pawan B., & Dharm, P. S. B.) In Indigenous Indian Management: Theory, Method, and Practice. Palgrave McMillion
- 2022: Presented papers entitled “Interorganizational leadership: Sculpting identities within collaborations” and “Strategy-legitimacy nexus: A narrative perspective” at the Indian Academy of Management Conference 2022 held at Indian Institute of Management, Rohtak
- 2020: Presented a paper entitled ‘Indian psychology for personality studies: Need, challenges, and future directions’ at the Indian Academy of Management Conference 2020 held at Indian Institute of Management, Tiruchirappalli
- 2020: Presented a paper entitled ‘Finding human nature coherence in theoretical narratives: A heuristic approach and a leadership illustration’ at the Indian Academy of Management Conference 2020 held at Indian Institute of Management, Tiruchirappalli
- 2019: Presented on ‘Yoga-based research: Imposed ethic biases’ at Symposium on Research in Yoga-2019 organized by Yogastha-The Wellness Club at Indian Innstitute of Technology Bombay
- 2017: Presented a paper entitled ‘The locus of human svabh??va: A S??khya perspective’ at the International Conference on New Frontiers in Sanskrit and Indic Knowledge held at Chinmaya Vishwa Vidyapeeth, Kerala
- 2013: Presented a paper entitled ‘Triguna research in Indian psychology: Philosophical reconstructions and directions’ in the Academy of Management Conference in Orlando, USA.
- 2012: Presented a paper entitled ‘Human nature heuristics and leadership theory’ in the Academy of Management Conference in Boston, USA.
- 2011: Presented a paper entitled ‘Good-bye self-interest: A self-expression based theory of organization’ in the Academy of Management Conference in San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- 2011: Presented a paper entitled ‘A theory of compassionate organization’ in the Indian Academy of Management Conference at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.
- 2011: Presented a paper entitled ‘Authentic leadership and work engagement: Mediating role of organization-based psychological ownership’ in the National Academy of Psychology Conference at Institute of Rural Management Anand.
- 2010: Presented a paper entitled ‘Toward a technology enhanced pedagogy’ in the Global Conference of Academic Disciplines, 2010 at Harvard University, USA.
- 2010: Presented a paper entitled ‘Developing a tool for student evaluation of management instruction’ in the Quality Council of India sponsored national conference on Emerging Trends in Professional Management Education in the Knowledge Economy in India at the International School of Management Excellence, Bangalore.
- 2010: Presented a paper entitled ‘Toward a theory of success: The Bhagavad-Gita way’ in the international conference on Indian Management for Global Effectiveness at Indian Business Academy, Bangalore.
- 2009: Presented a paper entitled ‘Leadership: The Bhagavad-Gita paradigm’ in the International Conference on Educational Leadership organized by Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.
- 2009: Presented a paper entitled ‘Leadership: The Yoga way’ in the International Research Workshop on Spiritual and Ethical Foundations of Organizational Development organied by Regent University, USA and FMS, Delhi University.
- 2009: Presented a paper entitled ‘A ‘grounded’ investigation into the core of leadership’ in the Excellence in Education and Research Conference organized by Indian Institute of Management Indore
Key note presentation
- 2021: Presented on “Positive Mental Health: A Bhagavad Gita Perspective” in the symposium on “Thriving in Difficult Times With Bhagavad Gita” organized by NIMHANS, Bengaluru
Published articles in newspapers/magazines
Cases developed for Teaching purpose
Achievements in Professional activities
Chairperson/Co-Chairperson in conferences
Co-ordinating/Organizing Workshop/Conferences /MDPs
- 2019: Coordinated People, Culture, Success and Emotional Mastery in-company program for Comviva
- 2019: Coordinated Emotional Mastery in-company program for Comviva
- 2019: Coordinated Business Excellence in-company program for Comviva
Contribution towards Institution building/ development/ services such as Chairperson (Placement) etc
Guide/evaluator/ examiner at doctoral research level
Invited to deliver Keynote addresses/ speeches
- 2017: Invited to address a session on literature review in the UGC-sponsored National Workshop on Writing Research Paper at Nirmala College, Ranchi
- 2017: Invited as a key note speaker on ‘challenges of building human capital’ in the HR Conclave organized by NHRD Network, Patna
- 2013: Invited to address the Indian Police Services officers on “strengthening middle-level leadership” in the 43rd All India Police Science Congress, 2013 in Patna, Bihar
Membership of Professional Bodies
Participation in Workshops/Conferences/Forums/ Meetings etc
Professional Services such as Member/Editor of Editorial Board/ Advisory Committee etc
Reviewer/Referee in Journals/ Conferences etc
- Member of Editorial Review Board of IIMB Management Review
- Member of Editorial Review Board of Leadership and Organization Development Journal
Research Project Undertaken